Best wood glue

Discussion in 'Jims Woodworking' started by justwannano, Jan 26, 2009.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    So what is the best wood glue for glueing large sections of plywood.
    I'm re doing my transom. I just redid it last year but need to make it higher for the longer motor shaft. We're only talking 3 inches and I could probably scab it together but I don't think thats a very good idea.
    Its a low budget job so I'm glueing two 5/8" pieces together to make
    1 1/4".
    thanks
    just

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Dont use regular wood glue if its gonna get wet, wood glue is water soluble.Get Gorilla glue, its more like a resin and water proof. Just be sure to clamp the pieces together as the glue expands. The glue will be stronger than the wood. Hope this helps.

3. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    you could also use liquid nails for sub floors. it is extremely strong but flexible, so while you are walking around on it the glue wont crack and get weak. it will also stand up to water and the elements. i think it is only around 4 or 5 bucks for an entire caulk gun tube full. check out lowes or home depot, i know they have it.

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Bob,
    You should completely cover the new transom with epoxy resin and let it cure before you install it. You can also use the epoxy to glue the two pieces together. Coat all screws/bolts etc that you use to fasten the new transom in place. All this will ensure that the new transom is water tight.
    You can get West Systems epoxy from most boat stores. DO NOT use polyester resin from the auto parts store...W

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Bob,I'm with Mike,That gorilla glue is good stuff,make sure to dampen both pieces with water before glueing,don't know why ,but the directions say to ,and it works!!

6. bw19

bw19 New Member

State:
    Texas
    The moisture causes the Gorilla glue to cure. It does not cure with air.

7. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'll cast a vote for Winston's suggestion...well written, and right on the money. You may pay quite a bit for the epoxy sealing (West System epoxy isn't cheap), but it is definitely worth it.

8. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Use PL Premium Polyurethane Construction Adhesive. You can get it for about $5 a tube at Lowes or Home Depot. You do have to use a caulking gun for it though. Best stuff I've ever used. No dampening of the wood or any other hub-bub, it has minimal expansion and it's super strong and easy to use . Gorilla Glue or TiteBond II (same type of glue, different companies) doesn't even compare.

You do need to coat the wood with something to protect, whether its epoxy, Gluv-it (epoxy sealant), etc. If you don't it's going to absord and hold moisture and decompose.

9. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Gorilla glue should be perfect for the job .

10. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I think the point to be made here though, is if you use a good epoxy, you don't need to worry about the glue at all. Just use a good wood-working (aliphatic resin or yellow) glue.

Strip-built kayak and canoe builders do this all the time with astounding success. With the absolutely waterproof epoxy sealant, it doesn't really matter about the glue used on the transom.

11. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Thanks to all of you.
    I used gorilla glue last year before I decided to do it again with the added 3 inches.
    The reason I didn't use epoxy is that the outboard mechanic I spoke to said that if I just paint it it will outlast me.Hmmm... guess he is probably right but I really didn't want to hear that. lol
    It is and was a low budget project.
    The construction adhesive is an interesting idea. I don't remember why I didn't use that the 1st time.
    have a good one
    and thanks again
    just