Best winter bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Little Luey, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Now that the water is getting colder, what are good baits to use? or should I stick to the chicken livers and baitfish?

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think u should stick with what u is using; u just got to find em.

3. leadsinker

leadsinker Member

State:
    Wichita, K
    Do you need to downsize your baits during the winter? During the summer, I use 6-8" shad.

4. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Naw, I usually upsize my baits during the winter for the big blues. I believe in big pieces = big fish.

Going with your baitfish you can not go wrong with that. Cats eat that year round.

5. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    I really don't change my baits that often but I do however move around a little bit more.

Wheelmobile07

6. sw2324

sw2324 New Member

State:
    Texas
    If you want big fish you typically need to stick with live bait. I agree with needing to move more often in the winter to find them.

7. rangercatman

rangercatman Member

State:
    Cameron, NC
    Ive been catching eels & freezing them, using them as cut bait. Been working great.

8. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I fish the Missouri and Mississippi rivers here in Missouri. I have very good luck with fresh cut bait. I use shad, skipjack, carp, buffalo or even big headed carp will work. I left out redhorse sucker cause they are hard to find but deadly in cold water

9. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    you are right on this For I belive catfish congregate in the winter usely in deeper water if you get one there is more I also like Live or cut bait in the winter:big_smile:

10. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i am now convinced on the uses of cut shad. wish i could get some fresh shad but frozen is better than nothing. i fillet one side and cut off the head. i put both fillets and the head on a hook. Only thing is that u have to change the bait pretty often because it looses its scent

11. SunburntAgain

SunburntAgain New Member

State:
    Tulsa, OK
    Its been my experience personally that blues love LARGE carp fillets in the wintertime.

12. jetdocx

jetdocx New Member

State:
    Corinth Tx
    You can never go wrong with cut bait. A lot depends on how your fishing drifting or anchored. Try some punch bait if your just sitting.