best weight for a slipfloat setup

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by flathead_ky, May 15, 2008.

1. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    What is the best weight to use with the slip float rig to keep a 3-5" baitfish down? I have used a 1 oz but noticed that it has made places on my line.

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I generally use 3 oz. no rolls on the cat bobbers. You will need to use a weight no bigger than your bobber of choice is rated for. If you haven't tried them get some catbobbers from gene they are some great bobbers at a good price. Look for Gene and Wolf products in the sponsors section.

3. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    When using a slipfloat in a lake I don't use any weight.

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I nomally use 1 oz to keep my float down.

5. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

I fish slip floats on all rigs (30+yrs),even when on the bottom,,in lakes from the bank 85% of the time your float moves in until the bait is resting on bottom anyway;;; 6"-7" weighted float with 1/4-3/8 oz of steel would be enough to get the float down with about 1 1/2" of the top of the float exposed above the surface, with a 12-14" leader , if the float moves at all the fish has moved your bait around 2' or better,,If you haven't set the hook before it goes completely under you are probably missing half the fish that take your bait..

Even when in open water , once you catch one fish ,get baited up asap and gt it right back out into the same spot or as close as possible, because the cats are swimming in schools and there is almost always another one or maybe even a dozen or 2, but do it fast, even if you have too throw the fish up the bank to re bait and get back on them..I've done this and have caught 62 channels in 3 1/2hrs :wink: good luck the next time Bro.:cool2: