Best ways to keep chicken liver on a circle hook?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Dirtman, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Keep chicken liver on a circle hook,

I have tried to use the mesh sacs and not having much luck.

What are other ways to keep the liver on the hook.

I read where there is another liver that works really good and does not have to worry about it falling off the hook,but i forgot what it is.

Thanks

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Some of the guys say turkey liver is stronger and some put garlic powder on it. The only time I use liver is to catch bullheads and I use beef liver and it stays on the hook.
    Welcome to the BOC

3. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    elastic thread cheap and simple wrap it around a few times and your good to go. You can pick it up at walmart for $1.

4. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Try a few feet of sewing thread. Wrap it loose to begin with and tighter and tighter as you go.

5. bodach

bodach New Member

State:
    KS Emporia
    My wife sews alot I found this stuff called tulle that is used in making wedding dresses in her sewing room it works great just cut up a bunch of stripes about 2"x4" or so roll up a piece of liver in it and hook it through twice it comes off much better than pantie hose and keeps the liver on very good even with a strong cast.
    DSC00096.jpg
    DSC00097.jpg

Attached Files:

6. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    Freeze them in ice cube trays, frozen they stay on the hook and thaw out in the water pretty fast.
    You can also use a swivel at the hook, take the hook off and run the hook shank through the liver, and clip the hook back on the swivel, this works good with treble hooks.

7. mylz17

mylz17 New Member

State:
    Birdsboro, PA
    Personally I never tried it, but my grandfather told me to use nylons. Some shoe stores have nylon socks that they give away to try on shoes. these are perfect size. Toss a few livers in, and tie the nylon onto the hook.

8. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use cheese cloth..I cut my liver in half,cut a square of cheese cloth and wrap the liver in the cloth,twist and wrap the end with thread and cut of the access cloth..Whala it stays on the hook..Theres a video of how this works somewhere on here but I can't find it..

9. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Wrap about a 10" piece of string on the livr to the hook. and cinch:wink: It will hold:wink:

10. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    How do you attach the mesh to the hook? Do you pierce the mesh bag with the hook, or do you tie it on somehow?

Thanks!

11. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yes just hook through the mesh the barb will help to keep it on the hook..

12. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks!

13. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    To keep liver on, use a pice of thread.....About 10" and wrap, cinch, wrap and cinc! Liver will stay on good:wink:

14. bodach

bodach New Member

State:
    KS Emporia
    I just roll it up like a smoke then run the hook through both ends they really have to work at it to get it off and I have never thrown it off in a cast.

15. Gotbuck

Gotbuck New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
  16. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i like a little bit of gauze wrapped round it, or some panty hose and tie a knot at the top/bottom place the liver in it, tie another knot on the other end and cut off excess....

i dont fish with liver much except for the little guys once in a while but when i used to fish with it all the time thats what i did.....

17. Jedicazador

Jedicazador New Member

State:
    TN
    some good ideas, I really like the idea of picking some up at the shoe store, thought of it in the past but never done it. I guess I should go buy some shoes:wink: