Best way to use crawdads as bait ?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by kyron4, May 26, 2006.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The kids caught about a dozen crawdads yesterday in about 30 mins. , by hand and with butterfly nets (who needs traps when you got kids ? :lol: ) They very in size from 1" to 4" with most being around 2 1/2". There in a airated tank for now, can't they be put in fridge with damp paper ?

Are they as good or better than cut chub and shad ? What's the best way to use them as catfish bait ? Mainly for Channel cats and bullheads. Hook through the tail and fish the whole 'dad or just the tail, or peeled tail ?
    -Thanks

2. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I have had very good luck with crawdads in the past . I hook them point up thru the tail . As cruel as it may sound to some folks , the old timers have told me to either clip off 1 pincer so the dad can still fight causing the fish to hit it harder , or clip both pincers so it can't fight back at all.The only other advice I have is to move the dad alittle once in awhile , their natural instinct is to hide underneath something where predators can't find them .
    Good Luck
    Brian

3. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Sorry I didn't specify , I use the whole cradad ,not sure about bullheads but should work for all cats .
    Brian

4. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use the whole crawdad. Like the man said, hook them point up in the tail and you're good to go. I don't take the pinchers off. Fish eat mudbugs all the time pinchers and all.

5. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC Mike. I'd have to say my best success with crawdads has been when they are live. I pull off the pinchers, which dosen't kill them, then I hook them through the tail. Pulling off the pinchers keeps them from grabbing onto stuff or crawling under rocks while on the hook. They stay alive on the hook for quite a while.

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've always had good luck for little ones with the peeled tails,if their softcraws I like to use the whole thing.

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    heres how i use them.I take a rubberband and wrap it around the middle of the crawldad.Then take your hook and slip it underneath the rubberband with hook sticking up.And cast her out.This way the crawl lives longer and is still able to move and do its thing to attract those kitties.Thats how i do it.

8. bartmccollum

bartmccollum New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use crawdads ALMOST exclusively for flatheads. I know..I know....Some folks swear by bluegill or sunfish or bullheads but my experience has shown me the power of the crawdad! Being a commercial diver my faith is only reenforced. I've seen crawdads all over on the bottom hiding and living in the same places as those big fish. The two are inseparable! Occasionally, I see an odd perch, but always crawdads. Hook the crawdad like this; under the very end of the tail there is a small hole(anus), think of the dark vein running along the back of boiled shrimp, put the hook there and follow that path, bend the tail around the curve of the hook as you go, the trick is to bring the hook out of the body right where the tail and abdomen meet right between the back set of legs, if you go to deep the crawdad will die quickly but when done right he'll live indefinately. The presentation is lifelike and durable in moving water....*don't remove the pincers, it just causes more trauma to your bait*....Circle hooks don't work as well as the old J style hooks. They say the bigger the bait the bigger the fish but I've caught many a forty-pounders on 4" crawdads!

9. illnoize

illnoize New Member

State:
    illinois
    I like to break them in half and use the head and the tail. Somedays they prefer one or the other.

10. mobowhtr

mobowhtr Member

State:
    MO
    hook through tail and lightly crush the body.

11. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I like to cut the pinchers off and put them on a lighted bobber at night. Sometimes I just use the tail if large and catch ba$$ as well.

12. TheHermit

TheHermit New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We have all been kids at one time in our life and as kids we didn't know crap about the fundamentals about fishing. We just fished and let it all hang out. Now we worry about what the next guy is doing and how he is catching fish. When I was 12-16 I would seine my own crawdads and hoped we would find our share of soft craws they always seemed to be the best but we didn't know why we just hoped we would get a few. We would pop the tails off shell the tail and fish. And I can tell you stories about those cats that hit my poor little pole so hard they would pull my pole into the lake or pond with me chasing it to retrieve it. I think cats just like the meat that craws have as they are so abundant to them. The smell drives them crazy regardless if they are whole or partial. So lets all think about what worked when we were kids and apply that to today's fishing. Not only cats but I would fish up 6 inch bluegills with just worms god how we have forgotten about the fundamentals of fishing. It seems the more forums I read the less fish I seem to catch is it me that I have forgotten the fundamentals or am I just trying to be like everyone else?

13. Wallbass

Wallbass New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ive had real good lick hooking them up thru the tail so they ar upright and leval in the water then fish them 2'-3' under a pole float. Works great!! :biggrin1:

14. WIcatter

WIcatter Well-Known Member

State:
    Plainfield, Wis
    Name:
    Mark
    Best method I know of is to boil em with a bunch of cajun seasoning and eat them while using bluegill for bait.:laugh:

Around here live crawfish cannot be used as bait. The preserved ones you can buy dont catch cr#p!

15. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
  16. hillman

hillman Active Member

State:
    MO.
    Or you can eat some and fish with some :laugh:

[​IMG]

hillman

17. T_Man

T_Man New Member

State:
    Kansas
    What about crawdads on a santee rig? Seems this would create quite a bit of commotion in the water with the float constantly pulling the crawdad back up in the water column.

18. niko

niko New Member

State:
    california
    time to experiment

19. jruckman41

jruckman41 New Member

State:
    west virginia
    I always use them when there soft you can only get them at night. Around July aug. When it's hot.