Best way to train coon pups, worked for me

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by timbo, May 27, 2006.

1. timbo

timbo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I started out when the pups were young and bought some coon scent. I used my cat fish rod and reel with good line and i put lots of coon sent on tail and threw it past the dog and drug it to him every 3-4 days. Later I got my kids to put up pups and i would run the coon tail over the yard and beat it on the side of tree with lots of scent on it. Then I would put it about 3 ft up the tree just so pup can see tail but dont let him have it do this many times ,,have got to go will post more sunday

2. Kennie G

Kennie G New Member

State:
    Iowa
    How old are the pups? If they are starting to show intrest in the tail trap them a live coon let them bark at the cage. eventually turn the coon loose give it a head start then turn the dogs loose. If you have a finished hound to hunt them with that would be more help than anything. hope this helps Kennie

3. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I enjoyed your post Tim. What kind of pups are you working and how old are they? I used to raise and train Redbones. I was like a kid at Christmas when my pups opened and treed the first time. I'd have the kids drag the hide behind their bicycles so I was sure the pups were not following my scent. The best advise has already been offered..keep your pups with a dog you know. They'll pick up enough bad habits on their own. I always hunted the dogs in summer too. The young coons don't go very far before hitting the wood.
    Don

4. timbo

timbo New Member

State:
    North Carolina

Hi Don THANKS i hunted with treeing walker,s yacking river,,and also blue ticks,,redbone i naver had but have hunted with them and were great dogs,what got me sterted with walkers is some one brought me a whole litter of pups,,but what little did he know they had what it took to be good coon hound,s,,,,just took time ,,the olny problem i had was i hunted one of my best pups with a freind he told me his dog was not ill on the tree bad,,bad,,,bad,,NIGHT had to drag his dog off my dog and my dog would naver hold a tree with another dog ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that was the best thing i have learn in coon hunting(((((((((((((((((((so if any one train,s a pup ((((MAKE SURE THE OTHER DOG IS NOT ILL ON THE TREE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    About 20 years ago there was a fella named Ralph Capehart from Palestine, Texas that got way involved with his male Walker dog's genetics. He was an outstanding contribution to the breed. His conformation was as good as it gets and his field work was impeckable. Mr. Capehart didn't want to loose this enegma so he froze a boat load of his seman. He inseminated several females after his dog died and UKC and AKC blew a gasket. People trying to register their pups from a sire that had been dead for a couple of years got both groups in an uproar. Anyway Mr. Capehart won his battle with both groups and his "Stride" Walker dog went on to produce some very fine hounds. I went to a seminar in St.Louis just to meet the man and listen to his trials. I wound up buying a female pup (8wks) from him and registering her with no problems. Her daddy (Stride) had been dead for 7 years before she was born. She made a fine hound and lived with us for 9 years. I gave her to my best friends son and she trained two litters of Black-N-Tan pups for him before dieing at age 14. TRUE STORY!
    Don

6. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    u guys got any suggestions where i could get me a coon hound? for free or kinda cheap?

7. smith06

smith06 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    best luck is to buy after season is over. Just like buyin a boat. A lotta people will sell em cheap when they cant use it.