Best way to sell a boat?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by JRA, Mar 3, 2006.

1. JRA

JRA New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I just bought a new boat last week and need to sell my old boat. What do you think is the best way to sell the boat? Newspaper? Fishing websites? I could have traded it in, but the dealer would only give me wholesale for the hull, trailer, and outboard. They wouldnot budge on the extras: trolling motor, depthfinder, battery charger, etc. I posted the boat on three websites but no luck so far. A lot of lookers but no takers. It is a great boat, and the only reason I got a new boat was that the old wasn't quite meeting my needs.

I would appreciate any help you can provide.

2. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Take a picture and put it here for us to look at, you never can tell, we are always looking for good boats here.

3. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Without seeing it I can only assume that it is in selling condition, cleaned out, and made to look as good as it can. I think also it is a little early for most people to be thinking about buying a boat. When the warm weather hits and you start seeing my favorite color being sported by young ladies, it will be time to sell your boat in earnest. What is my favorite color..... skin.lol

4. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    A buddy of mine sold his boat last year and it went twice on Ebay without a winning bidder. Then he parked it at a very busy bait shop and put a couple flyers around some other bait stores with no luck. Then he put it in the local Tradin Post type of magazine and it sold the very first day it hit the magazine. That's the route I would go if it were me.

5. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    98* down here in TEXAS Yesterday!!
    Never to cool for BOATS !!!

6. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
  7. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    :thumbsup:

My suggestion would be the local trading publication. Around here it's a little over a buck and can be found at nearly all gas station/convenience stores. They list everything from real estate to pets to vehicles. I also agree that it may be a tad early but if it has to go, advertise in the newspaper and in some 'local' trading post. Advertise within an hour's drive or so. If you can stand to hold on to it for a few months, I'm sure you'll get close to what you think it's worth sooner or later. Good luck!

8. duck_killr

duck_killr New Member

State:
    il
    I Would Go With The Papers. When I Sold My Old Jon Boat, I Put It In My Local News Paper This Time Of Year Last Year. It Sold The Saturday It Came Out By Noon. Hmmm. Maybe I Under-priced It? I GOT THE MONEY OUT OF IT THAT I HAD IN IT. EXCEPT FOR MY EXTRA PROP.

9. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    If yo live on a heavely used road put a for sale sign on it. Or a buddies yard. Now is when people start to think about fishing.
    Good luck
    Bill

10. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Now is the time to sell. Boat prices in the local paper are going up, the same boats listed 2 weeks ago are up 2 to 500 dollars this week, due to the warm weather, and everyone getting the fever. I'd try local papers first.

11. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Do all the above, Set it in high traffic area if possible, list in local paper, and post it here in the forsale section. Spring fever it will sale.

12. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I've got one listed here and on Ebay, I'll let you know which one gets bid;)