Best way to rig shad guts???

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by IA Flatcatter, Mar 3, 2009.

1. IA Flatcatter

IA Flatcatter New Member

State:
    SE IA. on the skunk river
    How do you rig and fish shad guts? Do you use all the gut or just the "gizzard"?
    Thanks

2. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    The real question is, where can you find gizzard shad right now? LOL. Everyone is bone dry.

I use them quite often and i use a 1-3 ounce sliding no roll sinker. A 6-12" leader and a 7\0 Kahle hook. Just keep running the guts through the hook and they hold good.

Sometimes I dont even use a leader. Just a sliding sinker, snap swivel, and hook. Works just as good as it would if you had on a leader.

3. IA Flatcatter

IA Flatcatter New Member

State:
    Calvin,
    Every place i check for guts justs laughs and says I wish I had some...
    Thanks for the info. I remember long time ago a guy said he dipped gizzards down below dam at Keokuk. can a guy still do that? is it just a certain time of year?
    larry

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I push the ball of the gut over the eye of the hook, then stick the rest of the gut on the hook its self. Works best for me and been using this method for 30+ years.
    Larry here its toward the end of April when they start running enough to dip shad. I hope to start stocking them then on wildwolfproducts.com. But have to check into shipping. As dry ice and the small coolers it may not work out unless someone orders a case of them.
    Pete

5. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    We use a cast net to get our shad, generally on the edge of fast moving current. maybe near a dam? We had one guy try last week and he got a few, it would be a start atleast to try...

As a group, we had 2 freezers go bad on us this year and lost over 800lbs of shad...:eek:oooh::crazy::confused2:

6. IA Flatcatter

IA Flatcatter New Member

State:
    I like the idea of pushing the gizzard up onto the eye I will give that a try.
    I had a deep freeze issue once, didn't break down, someone unpluged...:sad2: just makes ya sick when you find all that ruined.
    Thanks for the help guys, larry

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Pushing the gizzard up on the hook eye like that allows your hook to be open more. Also my hookup rate went way up 25 years ago when I started doing this with shad guts.
    Also for the most part I also use a double hook rig stinger hook tied right below the bend of the top hook. I catch most fish on the bottom hook as the gizzard is on the top hook, and the big guts hand down on the bottom hook.
    This rig works great with skipjack guts also. There(Skipjack guts) at times better then shad guts. Also the skipjack guts are killer for big blues.:wink:
    Pete

8. eyelooking

eyelooking Member Supporting Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Anybody know where I can buy shad guts? Never tried them before. Are they stored in jars and how do you keep them?