Best way to rig my line for flathead catfishing.

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by PRITCHETTK, Apr 26, 2006.

1. PRITCHETTK

PRITCHETTK New Member

State:
    SALINA, OKLAHOMA
    I am going to be fishing for flathead this weekend. I dont have a reel that will hold any line bigger than 25# so I will be using 25# test line. Usually I will use a 7/0 hook and about 1 foot above that an egg sinker and a split shot to stop it. The areas I will be fishing will be calm water in a river channel. Not a lot of structure, I was wondering whats the best way to rig my line hook and sinker. Can someone show me how to do a carolina rig?

2. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    This is the set up I been using for years. Its real simple and works great. Get you a small swivel pass your line through it. Get you a bead to protect the hook, pass your line through it. Next tie on the hook using a palamar knot. Now you got your hook tied straight to the line nothing to break but the line. The swivel slides up and down the line. Last tie a piece of line, A foot or so, , less line strength than the main line to the other end of the swivel. Use the right weight for the current. Fish dosn/t have to pick up the weight, if you get snagged the weight will usually break off and you can save the rest. Just tie on another weight and your ready to go. One more thing I use large blue gils for bait but not that big of a hook. Usually a # 2 kayle if real big gil maybe a # 4 On easter I caught a 60 + pound flattie on a # 2 kayle. You may also want to try spider wire its small in diameter and allows you to use higher test strength. Try the set up you will love it.

3. arz6x2

arz6x2 New Member

State:
    missouri
    any way that catches fish

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Here is the Carolina Rig, used extensively by bass fishermen, and eveyone knows that the bass men are far smarter than us lowly cat men.

So next, let’s rig the CAROLINA RIG.... With this rig you’ll need line (main reel line), a barrel swivel, about 6’ of leader line, a weight, glass or brass bead or rattle chamber, and a hook. I know this seems like a lot of stuff, but the results are incredible!

First, take your "Leader Line" (usually the same line that is on your reel already, but I would suggest at least a 2 lb. test smaller than your main line in case of a break-off..... Most of the time by using a lighter leader line, when it breaks it will break off at the leader line thus saving the other hardware on the rig) and tie one end of it to one end of the barrel swivel and then put it aside for a moment. Then, take your main line from your reel and first put on the weight (usually anywhere from a 1/2 oz. up to a l oz. bullet or egg sinker). Next, after the weight is on your main line, follow it with a rattle (rattle chamber, glass or brass bead) and then tie the end of the main line to the other end of the barrel swivel that you just put aside. After you tie to the swivel, tie your hook at the other end of the leader line giving you a 2’ to a 4’ leader. Now, we’re ready for the bait!

Usually they bait with a plastic worm, but catmen use live bait, cut bait, stink bait, etc. The principle is all the same, except the fish we catch can generally eat the fish they catch. lol

5. TeamPunishment

TeamPunishment New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey I'm not as dumb as you may think I is!

6. PRITCHETTK

PRITCHETTK New Member

State:
    SALINA, OKLAHOMA
    Thanks Lawrence, now I know the right way!

7. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Insted of using a carolina rig why don't you try a 3-way. This rig always produces more flatheads for me than any other rig. The reason it works so good is because flathead's eyes are on top of their head. Because their eyes are toward the top they attack their prey from underneath. This makes the 3-way a perfect rig for flatties since it keeps the bait right above them.

8. buzz crackstock

buzz crackstock New Member

State:
    Springfield, IL
    here's the rig I use, I think maybe someone above has mentioned it but here is a pic of it. I use it mainly in lakes and rivers if the water isn't movin real fast. I also prefer the no roll sinkers but this is just what I had rigged up. I use either spinning reels with the bait runner feature or casters with bait clickers, this allows the fish to run a bit and get the bait in its mouth all the way.
    View attachment 8353

View attachment 8354

9. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Where do you get those little black clasp things that you have your bank sinker on? That looks like a right good idea. I would like to try it.

10. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    It's a small zip tie.

11. buzz crackstock

buzz crackstock New Member

State:
    Springfield, IL
    yep, they are little zip ties from wal-mart and black beads from the craft section. If the weight gets snagged up the zip tie usually gives before the line breaks. I use 30 lb berkley solar. Sometimes there is a little burr on the inside of the bead. I just take a drill bit of the appropriate size and ream it out by hand gently. It usually doesn't make a big difference if you use cut bait but a live gill or shad will pull the line an inch or two over and over again which will rough up the line a bit. Especially a lively shad, that constant sawing action will dammage the line just above the swivel.

12. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    That Looks Like One Mean Set Up .have To Give That A Try. Hadn't Thought Of The Zip Ties Looks Like A Darn Good Idea.

13. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The Carolina Rig will work fine and since it is calm water, you could also try a slip float rig for Flatheads.