Best way to rig a bluegill

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by JakeW, Aug 25, 2006.

1. JakeW

JakeW New Member

State:
    Fremont, NE
    so i got my fair share of info on how to use my bluegills, depends on the catfish that i want to catch. now i would like to know the best way to rig a bluegill, live or dead, either way. as far as hooks and weights go, i will take any suggestions and tips i can get, especially how much weight, and how much to lead the hook down. thanks. jake

2. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    i take a 1/0 circle hook right in the head.as for whight i use a 1/16oz (the whight of the fish is good.)hope it helps:big_smile:

3. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    i always hooked them through the back and had luch cuz whenever i hook through the head they bite the body off and leave the head.

4. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Thanks for the info! I know now why when I get hits, I'm reeling in lips and eyeballs.

Kenny

5. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    hook them thru 1 eye,,,, very effective...... they stay alive and swim with a limp to 1 side,,,,, it attracts cats and anyother fish higher on the food chain.... also works good for ocean fishin...

6. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    ok here is what you do, put on a swivel, now it can either be a barrel or a three way, in any event your going to want to have two lines coming off with hooks one either a Khale, Circle or what ever your using, then one with a large treble hook, take your Khale or whatever and hook it threw the eye, now take the other one and hook it threw the tail, if the fish hits the head it gets what ever hook you put there, and if it hits the tail your treble hook gets him. my favortive way to rig bait fish, i hope this helped

7. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That is the most interesting way I have ever heard to hook bait fish.Reps for ya brother!--------------pk powell:smile2:

8. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Reps to you man! Thanks again.

Kenny

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I like the standard slip sinker rig aka carolina rig with the gill hooked throught he lips are the tail. I also like to put then under a big bobber with about 3 ounces of weight about halfway down to the bottom.

10. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Was fishing with them today used a 12 inch steel leader with 2 oz sinker and 9/0 khales and 8/0 circles. Hooked them right behind the dorsil fin. I caught a 4#er, had it to the boat and line was wrapped around A brush pile and he got off while I was trying to untangle my line. :sad2: Would have been tastey blackened.

11. rocket256

rocket256 Well-Known Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Name:
    McGill
    Very nicely put. I couldnt have said it better.

12. Scott Iconelli

Scott Iconelli New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I hook them through the bottem jaw and out through the eyes that way they live awhile