Best way to remove fiberglass

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by bigbearfireman, Jul 18, 2006.

1. bigbearfireman

bigbearfireman New Member

State:
    Lawrence,ks
    Hello guys, I have a ??? for any one to answer . I have a 1972 invader trihull, that i am redoing the floor and the stingers. I have come to a stopping point in the process. My question is, what is the best way to remove the fiberglass on the bottom of the hull and around the stingers. All the wood has rotted away and just the shell of the fiberglass is left. Help please and thank you in advance for any advice you have . :big_smile:

2. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i would use a cut off wheel and a sawzaw

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    A small hand grinder with a cutoff wheel.
    Wear a throw away TYVEK suit , safety goggles, a good mask, gloves and limit exposed skin.
    You are dealing with chopped glass. The itch factor is high without protecting yourself.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I believe the line of thought for this repair is to simply cut the top of the fiberglass stringer off. That would leave a channel for the new stringer to be inserted in and then you seal it off with another coat of fiberglass and cloth.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Cut the glass down to the hull. You'll have to glass in the new stringer from the bottom up otherwise you'll have a floating stringer thats only attached point is along the top edge and doesnt serve the purpose of a stringer.
    The stringer's purpose isnt something to attach a floor to its there as a structural componet of the hull.
    You would have a bad bumping noise everytime you hit waves or wake and potentionally create hull damage through hard spotting.

6. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Mark told you right you have to cut it down to the hull.Back in the 80s I made my living by repairing fiberglass boats so I know a little about it.Don't use the type grinding disk made for metal use a corse(40 grit)sanding disk with a rubber backing disk and ruff up any old fiberglass you want new FG to stick to.Do use a mask and goggles so you won't get fiberglass dust in your eyes an lungs.Wearing a suit to keep FG dust off does you no good Heck I was grinding fiberglass every day and I never wore anything but shorts cause the dust would get on my arms,legs and chest anyway and make it worse so at the end of the day I would jump in the water and float around while I drank 2 beers.

7. muskyman

muskyman Active Member

State:
    Loudon TN
    Name:
    David
    Wear that dust mask like he said and also cake your arms and your neck in baby powder BEFORE you start working. Filling up on baby powder on your body will fill in your pores in your skin and will not allow the fiberglass into your pores. I did this when I had my glass boat and it worked wonders dude. Good luck.