Best way to present a bluegill?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by GETHOOKED, May 24, 2007.

1. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    Ok, we covered line type, brand, and hooks-----BUT WHAT ABOUT BAIT?1
    What is the best way to present a bluegill to a flathead?

Is it to leave it alone?
    Cut one fin?
    Cut both side and pectoral fins on one side?
    Cut the dorsal and the top fins?

Now do you scale on side?
    Make slits on the fish so It bleeds a little?

If you had ONE bait and a known producing fish hole, or even new water and little time?

--WHAT WOULD YOU DO TO MAKE YOUR BAIT THE MOST PRESENTABLE TO THE FLATTIE?

Personally, I throw one out left alone, two with the side and pectoral fins cut, and one with the top and dorsal fins cut with cuts in the gill's side, I call this one the sacrificial lamb!!!

THe cut one doesnt last long but if there was a quick bite it is always that one. This one dies quickly (30 min or so ), but if the bite isnt right away it is the one that is left alone that gets the fish. So what do you do?!

Bring on the suggestions!! love to hear everyone's advice!

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    My favorite way to present them is with an 8-10/0 hook right through their back. I never do anything to them unless they die and then they become cut bait. :big_smile:

3. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    i usually fish them under a slip float and i just leave them alone,just hook them in the back.

4. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    well everybody has their own thing. here on the wabash i like to hook them just in front of the top fin and let em run, if they die i just chop them up and throw them on another pole. actually had a turtle chase one of the live ones it was fun to watch......

your best bet is to present it the way u think it will work,,,,,theres no wrong way unless u dont present it at all! :smile2:

5. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    I like to hook them through the bottom, just above the anal fin. That way they can swim in a more natural positon without the weight of the hook tipping them over, as it does when you hook them through the back. I've actually seen bluegills lay on the bottom, flat on their side, when hooked below the dorsal fin. I don't feel that there's any need to ever clip a fin. They struggle enough with that hook sticking through them! Most of the time I'll be fishing a live 'gill and one that I've cut in half. Many times the flatheads will show a preferance for either cut or live baits on certain nights.

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    live or fresh cut are the only two things that matter, to me.

7. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I'd try one cut and one live, so the cats can tell you what they want.

8. barraGouda

barraGouda New Member

State:
    SC
    i try a couple different ways and see which one is getting the most attention, then i do that for the rest of the time. different day, may bring different action. we all know that, right?

9. gunter003

gunter003 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I rig them with a three way swivel with an egg sinker on one ,the gill on the other with about 12 inch leader , to give them some room to fish for me. that is what has worked for me.

10. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    There are many different ways to present bait as you know, when using a bluegill I like to use a hand size one hooked in the top of the dorsal, just my preference.

11. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I just hook em behind dorsal or anal fin and let em sit. Scaling and/or cutting them seems to make em die quicker.

12. ga2oh

ga2oh New Member

State:
    ohio
    i usually hook'em right before the tail so they can swim alittle more naturally and attract the cat's.

13. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I only fish with live bluegills between 3-5'' for flat heads and Blue cats all with this slip float rig. Never fails if you know the water your fishing,and where to present your bait.

Good Luck.

PS> I forgot to tell you I only Bank fish and catch big fish on a regular basis.

Attached Files:

14. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    After reading this thread I'm gonna try hooking them under the tail, I never tried that before. As to clipping fins, a knowledgeable man I know told me to clip the top half of the tail fin, that way every time they try to swim they propel themselves upwards. Under certain conditions flats hit cut or scaled gills more redily than live ones. I usually find this to be true durring the hottest months up here July, August. when the water is over 80 degrees and low and stable. If they aren't hitting live gills try cutting them in half or scaleing and making cuts in their sides. Sometimes they prefer them dead.

15. criggster

criggster New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I usually hook them through the lips, tail, or behind the dorsal fin. I have noticed that in swift water where I fish I tend to get less hang-ups when hooking through the lips.

16. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i hook em through the eyes close to the nose. never had a problem with it as long as you dont hook right through the eyes. more to the side.

17. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Heres a close up:wink: notice that the tail is pinched off. slows them down pretty good.

Attached Files:

18. silsbyj

silsbyj New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have always hooked em below the dorsal fin. If they are biting with live bait this seems to be the method that has worked best for me. I have pulled a trot line up and had bait still alive after being on all night.

19. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    also make your leader you put from your main line and swivel, shorter than the slip bobber you are using so it wont tangle around the top of your bobber

20. mikepgh

mikepgh New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I usually bring the hook through the bottom jaw up through the top jaw keeping it alive.

Once it dies or if I catch a fish on it and still have it I will usually step on it just until the stomach and everything pops out then cast it out. I have found this to be very effective.