Best Way to Paint Scraped up Skeg?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Catfish_Commando, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Best Way to Paint Scraped up Skeg?

Would it be best to take it to the dealer to repair removed paint of the Outboard Skeg, or just get some Marine grade paint, and do some touch-ups.

The paint removal is down to the metal.

The Georgia Gathering, and the Altamaha River has taken its vengeance on the skeg, and prop. Prop is given fix, get another one. :embarassed:

I found myself yesterday in 12" water, and the one thing you shouldn't do, I did, let of the throttle. When the boat settled, I was locked in :embarassed:

About an hour of pushing, I was back in deep enough water to move out. I watched several flat-bottom jons make it through, I wont make that mistake again :tounge_out:

Hmmmm... River Pro Boats

2. Trapper-steve

Trapper-steve Well-Known Member

State:
    Bicknell, IN
    Paul,I don'y really have any info for you but i can tell you your not the first one to do that I'll take the fifth.:eek:oooh:

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Do some light sanding on it and then clean with vinegar and water mix then use some etching primer and let dry for a couple days.
    Go to the even rude shop and get the color you want and spray away.

You can apply a small amount of heat to that skeg to make the primer stick better.

If you got in hard enough to take the paint off the prop and skeg I would consider looking at that water pump to see how much damage it has. When silt is that low it will sand blast a water pump.
    Just a precautionary measure but a necessary one In my book.

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Why worry about it? Sooner or later you lose this paint on all outboard skegs fished in rivers like this.It will happen again.This is why they make push poles and spare props to take along.A shiny new rig with no dents,scratches or missing paint will make it awful hard to convince strangers that you are much of a fisherman.A rig that looks used and has it's battle scars is a lot more convincing and a lot better advertising for the BOC.peewee-williams

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Bubba told you straight on the paint job. If it's still pee'n good, your probably ok with the water pump, but you did age it a bit I'm sure. Run it on the muffs and connect a water hose to the flush hook up at the same time for a good wash out.

6. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Oh you bet that little critter will tell. Honestly, I was crusing along and hit a boulder about the size of a VW. Broke the skeg clear off. kicked the motor clear out of the water. I took it in and they welded a new one on. I couldn't believe the lower unit was still there let alone working. I figured out what those green and red markers in the river were for, not just the channel. They painted it for me too, so you couldn't tell it ever happened. No help Paul but I sure fixed mine.
    Don

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

Bob I forget about those motors that ain't 30 years old having flushing connections.:lol: Man I am going to have to get me a couple new ones to keep up with the stride.:lol:
    I almost bet he aged it a couple months but that e-tech will let him know long before any damage is done.

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Something else about the heads on that engine is the thermostats. They're at the top of each head and can be removed with a spark plug socket ( 13/16 ) for a real good flushing.

Remove thermostats and run the engine, or just flush it and watch the sand that would be caught in them get flushed out of the block.

9. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    I suppose this is what you do Instead of fishing? :)

I used to worry about the paint but found that I'd be touching it up about once a week. Follow PeeWees advice and just show off the battle scars. Paint it before you try to sell it. Of course, if you would rather have a jon boat so you can go over those shallow pools, I'll trade you even. ;)

10. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I guess I'm with Shortshank on this one. 'Course I busted mine clean off when that rock took out my prop and lower unit, so I'll have a nice pretty one soon . . . .

11. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    There is a product on the market called a Skeg guard that is a stainless steel guard that mounts to your skeg and protects your skeg fin and keeps it looking good.Helps with small knicks and gouges also. It is a good product to use if you so happen to remove the lower third of your skeg on accident and it is a bolt on operation.

12. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It appears to me the bunny skinned his @$$ and needs a band-aid! LMAO!!!:lol:

13. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Aint that the truth Pee Wee

14. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Gents,

I actually completed the repair this last weekend. Primer and Paint. Not 100%, but looks pretty good. Now I have primer and paint on standby. The year of the paint was 2004 Evinrude white, so it doesn't quite match. But in the water, who cares?

15. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    After the "new" wears off you will learn to accept a battle scar here and there.The new primer and paint on the motor will disappear with time and use.The primer and paint in the can will most likely set up and get hard.Enjoy the times and situations that put the scars there.No one has ever won the battle that you are fighting in the type of conditions that you fish.peewee-williams