Best way to mount trolling motor bracket

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Seth, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    The guy who had the boat before me just put some self tapping metal screws through the bracket and in to the front deck. Most of those screws are stripped out and they don't really help keep the trolling motor secured anymore.

Should I use big rivets to secure it or just move to a bigger self tapping screw?

2. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    If you can reach the undersides of the front deck, I'd suggest that you thru-bolt the bracket, using fender washers and lock-nuts on the underside.

Bill

3. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Well that's the problem is that I can't reach the underside of the deck where it bolts through. :angry:

4. Billy Jo

Billy Jo New Member

State:
    Peoria , Arizona
    Seth go to Bass pro look at Item # 38-510-274-00 this will take care of yourtrolling motor mounting. 4 pack $10.00

5. flatheadfisher

flatheadfisher New Member

State:
    NC
    I got tired of that happening 4 years ago and welded it all together. Haven't had a problem since. If you have to pay someone to do it for you - it is well worth it in the long run.

6. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Thanks for pointing me towards those Billy Jo. The idea of getting it welded permanently might be the best anyway since I never take the mount off anyways. I will try to find somebody who welds aluminum and see what it would run.:cool2:

7. flatheadfisher

State:
    NC
    Hey Seth,

I love the picture in your post. I hope you didn't let that cat get too close to the little dog! Or, did the cat spit that little pup up after you caught it?

:eek:)

8. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    The dog made sure he didn't get to close to the big ol gal, that's for sure. :smile2:

I tried all last summer to catch a big catfish and spent who knows how much on gas, but couldn't muster up anything big. That fish was my girlfriends 4th or 5th catfish ever and she has gotten me beat already by about 30 pounds. :crazy:

Beginners luck, let me tell ya. I'm more proud that she caught it than myself though.:roll_eyes: Now she is hooked and doesn't mind it so much that I want to go fishing every weekend now.

9. flatheadfisher

State:
    NC
    Ha! That fish looks bigger than your girlfriend. It is good she likes to fish with you. Here is a pic of one of my wife's big 'heads.

mfh.jpg

10. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Nice shovelhead. I'm going to try and get the girlfriend to go snagging with me for a big ol spoonbill this spring. If she can take the abuse that snaggin does to you, she shouldn't have a problem latching on to a biggun. She stands a good chance of besting her 45 pound blue cat if she goes with me to Tablerock. :smile2:

My biggest spooner is 74 lbs so if she catches one bigger than that right away, I think I'm just going to let her do the fishing and be the house wife from now on LOL.

11. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Michael that pic is priceless! :smile2: :smile2: I think I would have a wall hanger made with it! Great photo!!

Seth if the little lady hit one bigger than yours you may need to do some holding on of your own :wink: That Blue is almost as big as she is, Great pic!