best way to hook live gills??

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by catmandoo22, Aug 9, 2009.

1. catmandoo22

catmandoo22 New Member

State:
    ohio
    whats the best ways to hook live gills??? iv heard through the tail. any other suggestions???

2. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Welcome to the BOC Kyle.
    I will hook live gills one of three ways depending on were I am and what kinda catfish I'm looking for.
    1) If I'm wanting to suspend them from above I'll go right behind the dorsal fin in the meaty area, avoiding the spine and vital organs: for drift fishing or like a Carolina rig.
    2) If I want to run an egg sinker off the bottom I'll hook them in the tail behind there anise in a meaty area.
    3) Some thing new I've been trying in lakes and some light flowing waters is set up my egg weight leaving 3-4' to the hook. Using a smaller hook, been working with 2/0 and 3/0 eagle claw bait hooks, any J hook should do.
    I've been running the hooks Thur the nostrils, taking care not to shatter the skulls. Its been working out pretty good, with good hook up percentages.
    This is how they were hooking up the shad when we went to beaver looking for some striped bass. We caught some nice striper's with the bait being trolled hooked like this. Option three I would suggest for eater size any way. Hope this helps and stick around there are people here that know allot more than myself. Good luck out there

3. GrandpaGoneFishing

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    And some reps to you. Got to get your MOJO points started, figured I might as well get ya going.

4. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    This is the way I've done it, but only using a silder for my sinker.
    :0a26:
    :wink:

Attached Files:

5. GrandpaGoneFishing

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Nice picture. Thanks for the post.