Best Way To Hook Blugills?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by GETHOOKED, Nov 8, 2006.

1. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    I was wondering all the differnt ways you all BOC boys hook your gills? I have used several approaches, but was wondering if any of you perfer one way over another? I usually pegum behind the dorsal fin. seems to work for me, but what about ya'll?:roll_eyes:

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

If the catfish are inhaling the bait I prefer to hook em through the lips. If they are being finiky I like to hook em through the meat close to the tail.

3. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I tried hooking them in the lips, but in HEAVY current it seemed to kill them quick. So I started hooking them under and behind dorsal fin and they stayed alive ALL day!.......Nothing ate them!:sad2:

4. hawkman

hawkman Member

State:
    Hiawatha,Ks
    I hook mine through the eyes

5. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    i cut their head off and hook em through the eyes. lately ive been cutting fillets and getting it all bloody and using that.

6. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    I hook them behind the dorsal fin not hiting the organs when using live bait for flatties. When fishing for the bigger blues i will cut them up and if i am using the head i will hook them through the lips. Using the tail section i will hook through the inside and expose the hook directly through the spine. Works for me but there are many ways and many different theories on this.

Wheelmobile07

7. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I hook em right behind the dorsal fin.

8. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i hook them in the tail or behind the dorsal fin and i also remove about half the scales from one side my grandfather taught me to do that and have done since i was a kid

9. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I hook them behind the dorsal fin

10. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I hook em through the lips bottom to top. I think I'm gonna try a double hook next time. 1 in the lips and 1 behind the dorsal. I always use live bait for flats.

11. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    behind dorsal fin just deep enough to keep em on, but not hit any organs or bones.

12. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I hook them behind the dorsal fin and undernieth the spine, then I cut their tail fin off and cut it where I am barely cutting into the meat. I do this for a couple reasons. First reason is if they dont have a tail the cant swim well and tangle themselves up in rocks and branches. Second reason is that when you cut their tail off they bleed a little bit into the water and attract the fish faster. The Gills will stay alive for a long time this way, well long enough for a big flattie to eat them. Just make sure when you hook them this way that you use a big hook. I use a Gamakatsu octopus 10/0 and I have had great results in a carolina rig with a no roll sinker.

13. pup

pup New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i hook them behind the dorsal fin they seam to stay alive longer that way

14. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    i use them on set lines and also hook them ehind the dorsel. I was wondering if hooking them upside down would make the constantly try to right themselves and therefore atract cats faster. any coments on this?

15. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Thats a good idea, but what kind of rig would you use to keep them ,"upside down?"

Good thought.

16. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was told by a female BOC Person to hook through the eyes and scrape a little off their one side! That is my plans for the future if all goes well!:big_smile:

17. CatswithBats

CatswithBats New Member

State:
    Cali
    Like many have said on here you should just catch a cuple gills. Cut the tails off, hook threw the eyes and slowly reel em in leaving a blood trail till you get your bite. It works!!

18. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I fish a swift running river most of the time and when I put one on I insert the hook into his mouth and come out the small slit just in front of where the gills start. The 9/0 eagle claw makes a nice pop sound when it comes through the very thin skin in the slit and a goggle eye or green ear will live on the hook till something eats him or I take hime off the hook. I bluegill lives over night but thats about all we ever get out of one of them anyway. The green ear and red ear are the best perch that I have found just as the goggle eye. They all have the small slit i'm talking about. In dead water I have hooked them in the back and done well in the past. If I get some mud cat I hook them just like the perch, in the side of the mouth and they to live till something eats them.

19. 18lbflathead

18lbflathead New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I hook them through the stomach and pull the hook out half way in the middle of its body.Works pretty good i caught an 18lb flathead on it.:smile2:

20. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    hooking them through the eyes doesnt kill them?