Best way to hook a live gill for fishing on bottom

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Deerslayer29, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Deerslayer29

Deerslayer29 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What is the best way to hook a live gill? I use shad and suckers and I'm thinking about trying some bluegills. One guy said through the underbelly does he mean in the stomach. Does this kill the fish?

2. iluvnevaeh

iluvnevaeh New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i hook them through the area just above the head and bleow the top fin. not too far down but not at the top either because you will severe the spinal cord.

3. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Bottom In River. current, thru the bottom lip and out the nose.

Bottom in lake, light to no current, right below the end of the dorsel fin, or in front of the bottom of tail fin.

Float, 1/4 - 1/2" below the dorsel fin, 1/2" towards the front of center of fish.

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I like mine behind the dorsal fin and down about a half inch.I think they try to swim more this way.IMHO:big_smile:

5. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

This is the way i hook them. I've tried Kenny's way in the river last year on trotline and they don't live as long as hooking them through the back.

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    never throgh the belly thats insain lol, always somewere around the dorsal fin in the back be shure the hook is always exposed always,

7. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Bottom fishing with little current, hook them low in the tail. behind the anal fin and the tail. This makes the gill swim upwards. With a float I hook mine in the back under the dorsal fin,they swim down like this. In current through the lips and out the nose.

I've also heard of some old timers around here that rubberband the hook to the side of the gill??? Never tried it.

8. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If you are fishing on the bottom than you should hook the fish in the belly or bottom of the tail. Especially if you are using circle hooks. But any hook for that matter will turn down and into the fish, covering the hook point if you hook it in the dorsal area while bottom fishing. You want the hook point to be exposed.

9. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Ive always hooked through behind the dorsal

10. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    A flatheads line of sight is to the side and up. You will have a better chance of a flatty seeing your gill by hooking it so that it swims upward. When you hook a gill in the dorsal fin and pin it to the river bottom it tries to swim down or along the bottom and is constantly trying to stay upright. I have also seen them swim in a circle on it's side. If you have a 12" leader with the gill hooked in the tail he will stay upright and swim into the flatheads line of sight. I know a flathead uses more than it's eyesight to hunt with but why not help him find your bait. Next time your at the river try plopping a gill out where you can see him swim and watch what happens.

11. musky_D

musky_D New Member

State:
    Plano, TX
    I've also caught lots of fish putting a circle through just above the bait's eyes- stays alive for hours but once in awhile slips off the hook...had it happen once. I'm going to try the below tail method next time I'm on the lake - makes the most sense. Thanks ya'll.