Best way to hook a Blue-Gill? ALIVE

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Deerslayer29, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Deerslayer29

Deerslayer29 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    All I use are shad and suckers but I'm wanting to get some gills and try em out. How do you guys hook them alive??? Cut I hook them through the lips but I'm wanting to try some live ones.

2. UltimateFisherman

UltimateFisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
    I like to hook my 'gills behind the dorsal fin on their back, just gotta be careful so you don't hit the spine. There are several other methods too like through the eyes and lips, but hooking them in the back seems to be the most effective to me IMO. It also tends to keep them alive longer too. Hope this helps.

3. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    thats the way i fish them when i am fishing with a bobber.if i am fishing one live on the bottom,i hook it in the underbelly so that when it is all on the bottom,the weight of the hook helps hold the bait straight up.if it is hooked in the back,the hook weight will make the bluegill lay over.

4. Deerslayer29

Deerslayer29 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This doesnt kill them???

5. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i hook mine the same way

6. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    i hook em through the back greenies and warmouth hooked this way seem to stay well wigglie for a good while = slimdaddy you hook in the belly as well i need to see this in person cant picture it

7. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    no,you hook them behind the dorsal fin under the back bone,in the meat with the hook underneath them.you are hooking them the same way when your hook is up top,just hooking them in the lower portion of all that meat.

check out this pic.of course,the black dots show where to hook them at,or in close proximity

bottom spot,hook from underneath,that way the hook hangs down,helping keep the bluegill upright when fishing them on the bottom.if you hook it from the top,the weight of the hook and line and whatever else,maybe a swivel,will pull the bluegill over on its side.

Attached Files:

8. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Same here also....but anymore i use cut bait.

9. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    lmao soulds like jack has ya ruined on cut bait........................:eek:oooh:

we still have to fish with live bait here in our lakes,lol

10. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    If ya start trying to hook from the bottom of the gill just look at their belly and then hook past the anal cavity. That will insure that you don't puncture anything that would cause the gill to die quicker.

You can also open the gills mouth and run a hook thru the roof of his mouth and out the nostril. This is another method of fishing a gill on the bottom and the weight and hook not tilting or weighing down the fish.

11. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    same also

12. NKYflattie

NKYflattie New Member

State:
    KY
    I usually hook mine through the eyes. Seen to stay alive longer this way.

13. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    through the eyes works the best for me. I know a lot of people who hook through the tail (upper or lower, as discussed in this thread earlier) and that seems to work for them.