BEST WAY TO HOLD A CATFISH

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catoon, Jan 29, 2009.

1. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    in your oppinion what is the best way to hold a catfish.and why

2. Vekta

Vekta New Member

State:
    CA
    Put your thumb in it's mouth and a finger under each fin if it's small enough. I've never caught one that I couldn't do that with. Some of the bigger ones made my thumb feel uncomfortable though. That's just the way I was taught to hold them. *shrugs*

3. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Well if it is a big old bullhead or a big headed male channel be sure you put your thunb in it's mouth.....LOL.....OUCH!

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    If they are small I hold them from underneath. Bigger fish I stick my four fingers in his mouth, thumb under his jaw. My other hand goes under his belly to support the weight.

I never hold them by the gills.

-Jim-

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    My advice is to just not catch a little one. It is just much easier to grab their lower lip with one of your hands. AND, when they get through rubbing the skin off the back of your hand, you have "war" wounds to show your acquaintances.

6. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Smaller catfish, I'll lip them like a bass of use more fingers to grab them by the mouth. Having a glove handy, definently is a big plus, to keep your fingers from getting sore!:crazy::sad2: I don't like grabbing them by the top of the head, because they can spin and spike ya. They're slimmy critters and getting a fin in the hand or fingers is an experience I can do without. Last year, I had a catfish spike me between the thumb and index finger.:embarassed: It went straight to the bone. I about passed out from the pain. 3 stitches later and some pain pills, I was good as new. Gotta be careful handling catfish. Takes some practice. Using a net makes the job easier too.:wink:

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Fork in one hand and salt and pepper in the other.

8. oklahoma caveman

oklahoma caveman New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    for smaller eater sized cats i grab them from underneath, thumb under 1 fin and the other side fin between my fingers. works good, dnt get spiked to much, although the truly small channels seem to have serrations on the back side of their fins that can cut you

9. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    lmao Ozzy is right about {how to handel a catfish}:smile2:

10. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    in a skillet!:smile2:

11. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    On small catfish I grab'em by the back of the head/neck area when taking out the hook out or putting them in the basket or back in the water. Someone asked about holding a catfish so to get over the fear of holding a catfish. I replied that I use leather gloves while saltwater fishing since I've caught some stringrays. :cool2:

12. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Well for me any way i can as long as i dont drop the dern thing.:crazy:

13. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I'll go along with that!!!

14. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The best way to hold a catfish is the very same way you would hold any thing that you love. Gently, with love and admiration, thoughtfulness and passion. :wink:
    If you dislike or hate anything, why in the world would you hold it in the first placed? I have seen guys catch things that they didn't like and the how do you hold it question never entered their minds, they just cut the line! lol.:smile2: Oh yeah, then there is the old saying , if you love something let it go. lol you don't even have to hold it then just break your line! :wink:

15. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats how I have found is the best way also JJ.. I have held them many different ways over the years but that way or cradeling them are probably the best. I know of some that don't even hold them also, just netting them, and weighing them in the net not to touch the fish or hurt the slime coat. They weigh the fish in the net and lower the fish back to be released. Of course if you are one to be concerned about actual weight, you then have to weigh the net after,,, rollo

16. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

DING,we have a winner!!. Thats how I do the little guys too,they do seem to cut the sides of the fingers some with those serrations tho. On the bigger ones,I just use my thumb to lip em,Gloves are for wimps:wink:

17. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    I was told to grab em' by the ears. But I have a hard time. Guess that's why they keep getting away. I must be doing something wrong...