Best way to grow tomatoes?

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by catfishrollo, Apr 27, 2007.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    im starting my second season as a gardener. i canned 40q. last year and im gonna try doubling that this year. so you tom. freeks like me, how do you raise yours? what do you fert. with? and what is the best way to stake your plants? i would like to grow some big champs this year. any info. will help! thanks..

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jason always give your plants plenty tender love and care. If you fertlize alot you will need to water alot. Check them for pest often. Spray when needed.I like to use wire cages for my stakes. Find an old time gardner in your area an pick his brain. You will learn alot.:lol: :big_smile:

3. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    tons of miracle grow! I use concrete wire for cages. I made some that are about 18 inches across, and they are four feet tall. I plant early so I wrap the cages about half way up with Saran wrap. when watering, I put a miracle grow sprayer in-line with soaker hoses. last summer my tomato plants were over 7 feet tall. the base of the plants were about as big around as a can of soup. good luck with yours this year.:big_smile:

4. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    i had 23 bags of shad left from last year. my neighbor took them and burried them beside his tomatoes. he says it is an old indian trick for firtilizing.

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i have 16 dogs and over 200 pigeons.i feed the munure to my worms and feed the worm munure to my garden.i stay one year behind on the compost piles that way i dont burn my garden.i also have blueberrys and this year i put in 3 grape vines.i use the same tomato stakes that my mother used.their 20 by 20 and made from 1x1 hard wood.

6. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I also use concrete wire. I've had the same ones for 10 years. I think i used 10 sections for each cage. The holes are big so you can get the tomatoes out. And the tomatoes will grow all the way out the tops. stake the cages down good or they will blow over when the plants get tall. Good Luck!

7. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Old man not far from here grows them on concrete wire but he sets posts in the ground and stretches the wire in 30 foot lengths. His tomatoes are about ten feet tall and produce like crazy.

He told me these tips.

Pinch off all buds till the plants get about 5-6 foot tall then pinch off half till they get to the desired height.

He only waters with a drip system.