Best way to freeze catapla worms.

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by CoryO, Jul 31, 2008.

1. CoryO

CoryO New Member

State:
    NC
    I have a lot of worm and was wondering the best way to freeze then? Do you put them in water? I've heard people will bread with corn mill the just put in freezer. What is the going price for the worms?

Thanks

CoryO

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    When I picked mine I always just dropped them into a bucket of ice water. This slowed their motabalism down real quick and they wouldn't crawl out as much.

Then when I got them home I put them in a container and froze them in water. Sometimes when I thawed them out some of them would still be alive.

3. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    freeze them in some corn mill so they dont stick togeather and you can use what you want and dont waste any .

4. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    This makes the second time I've run accross references to freezing catalpa worms and then bringing them back alive..........I'm sorry, but I just can't imagine that; you sure it's not just nerves or sumthin? I'm frozen them live for years and ain't never had one come back to life.

This last time I froze them I followed the instructions from 'Fishing For Catfish' which was drop them live in ice water and then freeze them in corn meal; the ice water is supposed to preserve their color. I've previously just frozen them in a solid block of water in which they turn black (but they still catch fish). A lot of times I've just went ahead and blended them up in a dough bait (boilie) mixture and then freeze them. All catalpa worms are is scent bags in very tough skins; it's their SCENT that make them such a desirable bait.

5. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am with Dinger on the freezing in cornmeal, As long as they are kept cold will last a long time and can be refroze.

6. sigmanusportsman

sigmanusportsman New Member

State:
    Texas (living in AR)
    I know a guy who freezes them to last all year. but he gets them alive, then boils them in water till they sink or float ( the opposite of what they are when you drop them in the boiling water). then lay them on paper towels to dry. put them in small ziplock baggies. then when you take them to fish the skins are tougher and will stay on the hook longer.

7. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    My dad dips them in boiling water, dries them, freezes them indevidualy(sp) then puts them in a baggie.

8. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    pic 1: A beautiful sight in the eyes of the right beholder, catalpas in a minner bucket; they're from my big tree in 2005 or 06.

pic 2: I just now took the catalpa worms that my wife froze a couple weeks ago in cornmeal and rinsed one off to see if it had retained any of it's color, and it has. I'm impressed.

Attached Files:

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    We used to freeze up to 20 gallons each year. And always used the corn meal to keep them from freezing. We put them in the freezer in the 5 gallon bucket and allowed them to get cold enough they stop moving., Then cover with meal.
    Never had any come alive after freezing. But have had grass hoppers come back after being frozen for say a week.
    Pete

10. brucemacgee19

brucemacgee19 New Member

State:
    nc
    I bet coryo can bring them back alive......... I heard his worms were high $. maybe they will work this weekend?

11. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I freeze mine in water.The only time they have turned black is if I let them get hot setting in the bottom of the boat (which I have done more times than not). If you keep them cool in an ice chest they keep thier color. If this picture loads, it's a frozen container of worms. They will be the same color when thawed.:wink:

Attached Files:

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Lots of good info on Catapla worms. Appreciated.