Best way to fish shrimp

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by south_va_fisherman, Nov 16, 2006.

1. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    i love using shrimp for blues. its my go to bait. i was wondering what you guys think is the best way to fish with it? what kinda rigs?

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use a carolina rig for just about everything. I don't know why shrimp would be any different. Seems to be better in spring and early summer, but that's just my experience. As long as it's raw and with mudvein intact, put it where the fish are and they will hit it. On the shallow flats in the spring, drift with no weight. I hear that's good action.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I use the Carolina rig and a Kahle hook. Usually, I just bait up a 5/0 just like I use when fishing with bluegill or shad. I've bought some jig heads, though, and am going to give them a try with the shrimp.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

you can float it under a cork, carolina rig it, no weight it. All of them work. Good Luck

5. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i like running it up the hook and leaving the point of the hook exposed and throwing it out with no weight on..pull in the slack then open the bail....only works if ya have little or no current.
    If i use a bigger hook, i'll put 2-4 pieces of shrimp on...heh

6. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    by the way i am fishing farely wide rivers (50feet).

thanks for the ideas, i think im gonna try a carolina rig next time out.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    So shrimp, really catch cats?

8. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I'm new here (first post), but I'm not new to cat'in. Hey folks, glad to be a member.

I've know more than one to have success with shrimp. Personally, I prefer to use the natural bait a cat feeds on in the body of water I'm fishing. In Texas lakes, that is normally shad. But for what it is worth, I've heard of doing two things to the shrimp they claim helps a ton. 1) the day before or the morning you go fishing they sprinkle enough vanilla extract (liquid) on them just to lightly cover them 2) before you put them on the hook they cut the tail off. Cut it off right where it goes into the meat part of the shrimp. Basically cut off the tail part of the shrimp that people normally don't eat.
    The vanilla is suppose to make a longer/easier to locate scent trail, cutting the tail off makes it a stronger scent. Good luck.

9. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    I rarely use it, i like danny king's or chicken liver.
    However, alot of old timers round here have sworn by shrimp. They pull the shell off and spray it with sparkle scales.

10. turkey22

turkey22 New Member

State:
    alabama
    carolina rig with a circle hook

11. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Best way to fish shrimp is breaded in coconut and fished thru some phillips cocktail sauce! Sorry, way to tasty to waste as bait. to pricey too. atleast here in PA.

12. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    At $5 a pound for frozen raw medium brown shrimp, its a pretty cheap and effective bait. In-fisherman year end catch reports always list shrimp as an effective bait for big cats, especially channels and blues.

13. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I don't if you have heard about this but tie on a decent sized weight (carolina rigged), cut about a 2-4 ft leader off, put a small bobber about 6 inches from the hook. This will suspend the shrimp off the bottom, putting it right in front of the blue's whiskers. Hope this helps.

14. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I use a CArolina rig or afloat I like the shell on and hook him though the head:0a23:

15. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    ok so it seems like you guys have used or use shrimp. But what kind of sucess do you have? thanks for the tips

16. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    This is a very successful way to fish shrimp. I have seen days when no other bait would come close to what this shrimp would catch. I have made it a practice to always have shrimp on board. Use an assortment of baits and let the fish tell you what they prefer. Good Catching

17. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    It's like any bait, if you are fishing where there are fish, the fish are biting, then it does just fine. I prefer bluegill or shad, but use shrimp in colder weather when natural bait is harder to get. In the last two fishing days, I've caught 11 catfish on shrimp up to 5 lbs. I was just bank fishing in a shallow cove, not chasing the bite. It works year around, is probably as good as any bait not natural to the waters fished, and is inexpensive if you get the raw white medium shrimp from Wally World (frozen case), or can get it fresh from a roadside vendor. Keep it on ice, it shore do stink when it goes bad.

18. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I always found that the best way to fish with shrimp is to boil them before you leave the house and eat them while you are using shad or skipjack on a slip rig(aka-carolina rig), LOL!!!

19. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    pull the shell off and spray with wd 40 or sparkle scales. dont do much good in winter with shrimp here. the channels are finicky now and bout all they hit is chicken liver. they are even turnin their nose up at danny kings which is deadly in spring n summer.

20. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Yes they can. Just think, if hotdogs and pork chops, and spam can catch catfish, why not shrimp... and someone should try squid.