Best way to cook a spoonbill

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by wedge17.6, Apr 9, 2009.

1. wedge17.6

wedge17.6 New Member

State:
    copan ok
    Well now now that I have caught one, what suggestions do you guys have on the best way too cook spoonbill. Fried, smoked, grilled or baked. what seasoning or rubs would suggest. have already heard too cook it on a cedar board untill it fall apart, then throw away the fish and eat the board
    thank for any coments
    lwest

2. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    if it is cleaned up really well spoonbill is pretty good. First thing make sure you get all of that red fatty meat cut off. Then i cut it into fairly thin short strips.(2-3 inches long by 3/8 or so thick) Then cover it in the red andes fish seasoning and deep fry it. The small pieces will cook pretty quick.

3. stubbylong

stubbylong New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've fried it and smoked it. Both were good but most of the people at the fish fry preferred the fried.

4. The Undertaker

The Undertaker New Member

State:
    Miami Oklahoma
    Guys this is my personal opinion only but here at my house we cook the spoonbill the same way that you would cook catfish. As previous post have stated there is some more cleaning needed for spoonbill but you can cook it using the same way. Try it and enjoy.
    steve

5. wedge17.6

wedge17.6 New Member

State:
    copan ok
    Thanks guys we will give it a shot.
    thanks again
    lwest

6. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    My experience in cooking/frying spoonbill is to cut the filets thin and fry it like a catfish or other fish. I have had it with that strong fishy taste. I don't remember if I had removed all the red meat, but I did add some cajun seasoning to the corn meal. This made for a very good taste. I think seasoning the meal is the way to go.

7. wedge17.6

wedge17.6 New Member

State:
    copan ok
    Turned out "GREAT", cut in 3/8 thick strips dipped in milk and egg, rolled in Cajun fish mix with parmesan cheese added to mix and deep fat fried. Was as good as any catfish..
    thanks for all of the suggestions.
    lwest

8. KSFish

KSFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    From past experience, frying it works great. How do I know, we fried some for my Son's birthday Friday Night!

Attached Files:

9. Fish Dog

Fish Dog New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Fryed spoonbill and blue cat on Saturday and everybody thought the spoonies were better.Take the time to clean the red meat off and soak them in salt water a couple days and everybody will wonder how you make them taste so good.

10. NRA_Guns_Winner

NRA_Guns_Winner New Member

State:
    kansas/Oklahoma
    My wife likes it grilled in a pie pan, soaked with lemon and Itialian salad dressing. Thats a little to tangy I think, but its good. Also Once again fried like cat fish. YUMMY

11. foghorn

foghorn New Member

State:
    Wagoner Ok

Fish dog try it by soaking in saltwater with a lil bit of vineager only use a shot glass full or around 1 ounce. My neighbor i asked him if they like fish and he said that he did but hadnt had any good fish since his mom was alive and that was years ago. So i gave him a bag of blue cat chunks or aka nuggets. He called the next day while i was at work and talked to the wife and said he wanted me to call when i got home. My first thought he was gonna complain. But when i called him he said he wanted to thank me for the best fish he had in 30 yrs. I told him its all in how it was cleaned. Now they cant wait till i bring fish over. I took a bag of sand bass over a couple of weeks ago and he gave me some beef from a cow he had butchered.

Foggy :cool2: