BEST way to catch small suckers

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by reelking92, Jul 23, 2007.

1. reelking92

reelking92 New Member

State:
    MI
    :0a34::0a21:the st. joe river is really shallow right now and i can see lots of bait sized suckers. Problem is the bluegill keep hitting the worms before the suckers do. I know that bluegills are good bait but they dont seem to get as many strikes as often as suckers do. any body know of a bait bluegills wont hit but suckers will?

2. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Place a small split shot about 8 inches above your bait and cast upstream of the gils. Maybe you could distract them with some chum.

Aaron

TA2D

3. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I've been wanting to post this same question for a while.:0a22:

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    First clear out the gills. By this I mean catch them and keep them contained in a bucket or net. Then fish for the suckers. After you get your bait, release them or use them for bait.

I use a castnet to get my suckers.

5. TX Catman

TX Catman New Member

State:
    Texas
    If the blue gills are more agressive then the suckers, throw like some corn or peices of hotdog/worm and to the side were the suckers still are and it might work.

6. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I used to catch alot of small sucker in a seine, if the creek or river is too shallow and rocky for a castnet.

7. reelking92

reelking92 New Member

State:
    MI
    thanks you guys i think i will get some bait clear out the gills and get some suckers.