Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Best thine to do is go big.Big shad blue gill or skipjacks .Second Livebait is best.Find some structure near a shallow flat or some other area where baitfish are in decent numbers thats where the flatheads would be.

Thats pretty much the basics
Fish with big livebait near structure you should get a flathead before long.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Best thine to do is go big.Big shad blue gill or skipjacks .Second Livebait is best.Find some structure near a shallow flat or some other area where baitfish are in decent numbers thats where the flatheads would be.

Thats pretty much the basics
Fish with big livebait near structure you should get a flathead before long.
also remember flatie fishing is kinda slow at times not like channels so just be patient and remember to keep the noise down

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Find a deep hole next to some cover(log jams, tree roots) that has a flat near it where bait fish thrive, see what fish is there and use that fish at bait. and when the sun does down throw your poles in and wait.:wink:

·
Registered
819 Posts
I know one way for sure if you just want to catch one go to a run off or a creek off of the river. Take some lively bait native to your waters throw around some snags or submerged trees or timber and wait a very long time because alot of people will give up to early. same day skipjack kept on ice are very good also but to start out have some patience and use some live bait around cover most important. flats like moderate current but they love cover.Good luck I had a hard time finding them last year but I found them and we started pulling in some hawgs.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I use baits that range in size from 3 inches up to 8 inches, I also use cut bait on another rod to see what they are hitting. Really I can`t tell a difference between cut bait or live bait we have caught big flatheads on both. Flatheads can also be taken in the shallows, try this method, it works.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
The best way to catch them is with their pants down. They get all tripped up trying to get away. If that doesn't work for you try putting a little salt on their tails. If you would rather fish for them use live bait. :wink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.