Best way to catch flats.

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by 10IbsBass, Mar 23, 2008.

1. 10IbsBass

10IbsBass New Member

State:
    AL
    I have been cat fishing all my life but I have never caught a Flathead. So I was wondering if ya'll could tell me when, where, and how to catch some. I live close to guntersville lake on the tennessee river so I know their there.
    Thanks

2. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Best thine to do is go big.Big shad blue gill or skipjacks .Second Livebait is best.Find some structure near a shallow flat or some other area where baitfish are in decent numbers thats where the flatheads would be.

Thats pretty much the basics
    Fish with big livebait near structure you should get a flathead before long.

3. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    also remember flatie fishing is kinda slow at times not like channels so just be patient and remember to keep the noise down

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Get yourself some live bluegill or goldfish anywhere from 3-5 inches. Find yourself a deep hole with heavy structure. Best case scenario, the hole will be at the edge of good current. Use the gills whole and fish through the night. Prepare to catch big flat heads.

5. melstangman1967

melstangman1967 New Member

State:
    missouri
    that are some good hints ill have to try that i have always

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use small blue gill, and I or when I skin a blue gill i will save the head and guts and use them

7. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Find a deep hole next to some cover(log jams, tree roots) that has a flat near it where bait fish thrive, see what fish is there and use that fish at bait. and when the sun does down throw your poles in and wait.:wink:

8. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I know one way for sure if you just want to catch one go to a run off or a creek off of the river. Take some lively bait native to your waters throw around some snags or submerged trees or timber and wait a very long time because alot of people will give up to early. same day skipjack kept on ice are very good also but to start out have some patience and use some live bait around cover most important. flats like moderate current but they love cover.Good luck I had a hard time finding them last year but I found them and we started pulling in some hawgs.

9. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I use baits that range in size from 3 inches up to 8 inches, I also use cut bait on another rod to see what they are hitting. Really I can`t tell a difference between cut bait or live bait we have caught big flatheads on both. Flatheads can also be taken in the shallows, try this method, it works.

10. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The best way to catch them is with their pants down. They get all tripped up trying to get away. If that doesn't work for you try putting a little salt on their tails. If you would rather fish for them use live bait. :wink: