best way to catch bluegill?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by kyledbarnes, Dec 24, 2008.

1. kyledbarnes

kyledbarnes New Member

State:
    south carolina
    what is the best way you know of to catch bait-size bluegill?

2. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    The best way I've found to catch bait sized Bluegill, is to use a tiny piece of nightcrawler on a Trout sized hook. Rigged with a small split-shot and little bobber. 4 lb test line. Ultra-Light rod and reel. It's great fun for the kids to get involved too!!

Hope this helps!!:big_smile:

Happy Holidays!!:big_smile:

3. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Kyle I use a microspin reel with 2 lb test line and a trout magnet. You can buy these at walmart in various different colors or you can order a kit from their website. They are more of a panfish magnet than a trout magnet at least for me anyway. It is alot of fun and you will catch a variety of different panfish on it. I enjoy catching panfish on these nearly as much as the cats I catch using them for bait. :big_smile:

Shane

4. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    i uselly catch mine on some bread just take a small chunk from the middle and roll it around in your hand and make what looks like a worm and press it on your hook they love it just about much as worms plus its cheaper than worms

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    All of the advice given is great. :wink:

One thing I will add is that this time of the year you are going to have to look deeper to find biting bluegill. In the summer you can catch them on sandy banks, but in the colder water most fish will be deeper especially around brush.

6. flatheadcat4u

flatheadcat4u New Member

State:
    Westmoreland, K
    ive all ways found its fun to let the kids at the local city pond catch them for me it gives them the experience and a little extra coin in there pocket when ya pay them a dime a piece they seam more willing to do a good job and get lots of bait as for my self i use a bait trap and get all the bait i need for a week in a single day :big_smile:

7. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Early Spring thru early summer when we're trot and limblining we cast the shallows with ultralight gear and flyrod using micro-jigs (1/100th oz, # 12 hook) tipped with pieces of wax or redworms. We catch plenty of the 2-3" gills (plus eaters also) like this. It's odd to see grown-ups take joy in catching dinks, but we do just that.

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    This time of year I fish small ponds, the smaller the better. Like mentioned they are deeper and harder to find in bigger lakes/rivers.

9. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Right on Mark, trout heads are mostly what we use for bait sized gills.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/ice-jigs/315418.aspx

Also:

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/ice-jigs/315414.aspx

On ultralight R & R we use them on the smallest jig spinners we can find and always tip them with worm or bits of pork rind (worms are better). I ten times prefer the river gills over pond gills because they're much hardier. We have the best luck casting the rocky shorelines for the small ones.

10. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i use a piece of nightcrawler on a very small circle hook.I think its to much fun catching those on a small circle.

11. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    This set-up is a Bluegill Killer,, It starts out with 6-8lb PLine add a nickel sized weighted float and a #10 Gamakatsu octopus tied to a unweighted line 18-20" below the float( adjust to situation )but this is my normal set-up..

Cast out and pop or snap your rod tip to pop the float and to get the hook and wax worm to start sinking,and watch ,as the worm slowly sinks( naturally )in the current them bluegills will eat-em up as soon as it gets to their level..as soon as you see the float move a little set the hook FAST( JUST A POP/SNAP with your rod will do the trick..Most of the time I set the hook when I see the line moving in the water as the bluegill takes off with the bait.. Hope this helps someone..

Here is a picture I just took ,with the waxworm..Had them in the fridge,,You never know when the time comes:wink:

Attached Files:

12. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I totally agree with river gills being hardier.They stay alive 10 x longer than pond gills.River gills are a little harder to catch but they are way better bait

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Try this were legal. Take you car lights and shine off a boat ramp into the water, throw out some pices of bread. When the gills start feeding on the bread, throw the cast net and reap a harvest.

14. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I wish we could catch them with a throw net.

Illegal to catch gamefish with a throw net in Georgia.

15. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    During the Summer months I use a 1/32 Oz. Mepps spinner. They tear those things up!:smile2:

16. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nice set up, Kenny.

17. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    I definently agree with the wax worms, a friend started me using them about a year ago and ive caught more and bigger fish,they are my #1 bait now for gills ,:wink:
    I rig them up with a 1/16 crappie jig and slow pull it across the bottom..works great
    Puddle

18. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    pieces of crawlers work well for gill as well they eat anything that falls in the water in Blue Marsh Lake

19. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I'll have to try waxworms sometime,I just got my 09 license so I want to get out for something ,anything!

20. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    #10 gold egg hook for trout. a tiny piece of raw uncooked bacon under a cork or on a split shot rig depending on how deep. Works real good for those 2 to 4 inch gills