Best way to approach replacing a Transom

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by Drawout, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Well i definately need to get my transom fixed before i go back out in boat. I need any helpful advice i can get to tackle this task cause i have no idea what to do although i do have the tools and a shop available,and 2 friends that are willing to help out. well ill have to get the link to the pictures cause it wont let me post them again.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    All transom repairs have to be made from inside of boat without cutting exterior hull.

It is often necessary to completely remove top half(or deck) of boat to accomplish this.

3. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    So i have to remove the motor ,cornercaps, drill through ribbets, and where do i go from their?:confused2:

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Johnny,
    It really is pretty straight forward but here are a few things to consider.
    Time: Do you actually have the time to start the job and finish it?
    Where: Do you have a place to work on it out of the weather?
    Tools: Do you have enough basic tools to do the job?
    If you look at the transom, anything that will stop you from getting it out in one piece will have to be removed because even if you take it out in pieces you will have to put the new one in as a single piece.
    If you can get it out intact it will make a decent template for the new one. If not you will have to make a pattern. This is easy to do using cardboard.
    AWSHUCKS gave a pretty good set of directions on the how to's in the other thread. I would recommend coating the new transom with a good thick coat of epoxy resin on both sides and especially the edges.
    Use you camera as a tool. Get a good record of where and how things fit before you remove them. Use marine ply wood if you can get it but if you cannot just be sure to do a really good job sealing it. If the transom is thicker than the plywood you can get, no problem, just use another piece to build up what you need. For instance, if you need it to be 1.5" thick, cut two identical pieces from a sheet of .750" and glue them together with the same epoxy resin as you use to seal them.
    Use good quality fasteners and if you don't get the rivets out clean just drill all the rivet holes out to the next size up and use the next size up rivets when you reassemble it. Hope this helps...W

5. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Thx winston a think with your post and awshucks post we can tackle this task easily.

6. mike5820

mike5820 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Heres a good place to get epoxy resin and other suff you mite need.
    I oder from them alot and there suff works great,i know alot off people who use them.and havent found a lower price for resin.
    www.uscomposites.com

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Johnny have you started on this project yet?

8. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Hey Willard we are gonna try and tackle it tommorow and if i run into problems i will be pm ing you franticly lol, But btw i tried to talk to you on yahoo messenger but you havent been on.

9. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Guys we done thx for all the advice and help. Here are some after pictures but they really do it no justice .It is amazing how bad it actually was and how much differencs it is.

Attached Files:

10. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    more pictures of transom going back together

Attached Files:

11. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    and a few more of finished transom.

Attached Files:

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Now johnny you have done good and don't yea feel better for it.:cool2:

13. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Yes Willard i really feel better we took it to the lake and man it is a world of difference it is much better.

14. KajunPCB

KajunPCB New Member

State:
    Panama City Beach,Fl.
    drawout...it looks great..congrats...just one question...did you seal/encase that new piece of wood in fiberglass and resin? if not you will be replacing it again much quicker than you'd like too.

15. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Jonnie,

Had to beef up 2 transoms on my alum boats over the years. Last time, I put a 3/8" alum plate on outside for more support.... to stop any flexing when under power.

bayrunner ray

16. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Johnny,

got into the thread late.... You did a great job on it "bomb proof"

bayrunner ray

17. tkoehler

tkoehler New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    time consuming but definetly can be accomplished. we used gorilla glue to glue the plywood pieces together. this stuff is amazing.

18. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    good job brother, looks great

19. handyronokc

handyronokc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma ( Central )
    a few more posts and I can see the pics