best way for cleaning your rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by catman from owensboro, Feb 7, 2008.

1. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    what is the best way to clean your rods.and the handles

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Don't know if it is the best way, but I just use warm water/dish soap and a sponge for the rod and eyes and the soft scrub pad for the handles.

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Clean rods????!!! You want to look like a rookie???!! :wink::smile2:

Be careful, you are liable to clean the luck off of them!:cool2:

4. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Stolen from another site:

ROD CARE:
    After fishing, be it in fresh or saltwater, rinse your rod carefully in a solution of mild soapy water to remove any residues or odors. Make sure you dry it off before storing. You may wipe the rod with a liquid furniture polish to enhance the look and finish.
    Lubricate reel seats and touch up guide feet with a cotton swab dipped in WD40 or other similar corrosion inhibitors.
    When traveling, always protect your rod by encasing it in its sock and/or tube. Loose rods may develop micro-fractures that will ultimately cause rod failure.
    Periodically check the plug in the end of the butt section of the rod to ensure it's in place, and check the guides for grooves.
    Store your rod in its case, out of the sun and weather. Make sure it's completely dry before storing.

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    simple enough for me. windex and a rag. shines em right up. and just water and a rag on handles.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I wash my rods with soap and water.I then wipe them dry. I use Gibson Guitar polish to preserve the condition.

7. flatheadfisher

flatheadfisher New Member

State:
    NC
    I have a friend whose rods are so covered in shad scales that they literally stink! I won't allow them in my truck.

8. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    as mentioned in the previous posts. i use water and a mild dish soap. after drying the rod, i check the guides for any nicks using a cotton swab. to enhance the rods finish, i use pledge funiture polish. for those cork handle rods i use isopropyl alcohol and a paper towel. it really cleans the cork and dries fast. the foam type handles i use soap and water and a mild scrub brush. for the reel seat, wd40, works well. i've heard johnson paste wax works great for the rod too.

9. catman from owensboro

State:
    ky
    i will be get my custum rods from black and blue soon. i just don't want them to look as bad as the ones i got now. thank all for the help

10. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Adam, you actually mean to tell me that you're gonna use that fancy rod? Danny told me you just bought one to show it off. LOL:wink:

11. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I find a way to get off the shad scales. I usally wrap the rod in a soapywet towel. I let it set for afew hours. That way the shad scales loosen up. Then jst use a green scouring pad amd whip off the scales from the rod. Then I use the same green pad for cleaning the cork handles. Using alittle more force on the cork. They clean up real well. Look brand new when finished. I mostly have St. Croix rods, and take good care of them.

12. catman from owensboro

State:
    ky
    yes walt i will fish with them. the only person i'll show them off to is danny, when i'm get that big cat in his boat.