Best Waters to Catfish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by MattyGfishing, Dec 27, 2008.

1. MattyGfishing

MattyGfishing New Member

State:
    Hawaii
    What are the best bodies of water to catfish in the lower peninsula?

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    welcome to the BOC, this site is full of good info and great people

3. eyeguy

eyeguy New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Welcome to the site, you've picked a great place to find info about catin. I'm a river guy myself and my top three picks would be the Grand River, Muskegon River and the Manistee River. Our crew drifts with minnows, we cast to the shallows right into the weeds and anchor in deep holes and fish vertically. We use minnows, cheese balls and chicken liver. We all came to love circle hooks as they seem to hook fish without having to set the hook and they are easy to remove once the fish is in the boat. We were using treble hooks but they are tough to remove and do a lot more damage to the fish which makes releasing them difficult. We have a ten pound rule meaning we release all fish over ten pounds. Our fisheries are mostly from planted fish and we want to enjoy the sport for many years and we feel that releasing the biggest in our systems might help. However, we release many of the eaters to the grease and enjoy them with friends and family. Make sure you check out the library on this site as they have MANY suggestions regarding rigs, bait, rod holders and on and on.
    Mike

4. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Have a look at the list of Master Angler awards on the Michigan DNR's website. Great way to find what's where & how big.
    Good luck!

5. mich dave

mich dave New Member

State:
    Otisville
    The Grand River is GRAND but to far from home. I'll take the SaginawBay any day[in the spring] for numbers and size. It's a riot in late april ta mid may.By mid june you may get skunked. I don't think we ever went out and not got 1 or 2 over 10lb. Our best was 18lb. Funny thing is nobody's fishing for cat's they are after the non fight'en walleye.They may be good food but I'd like to meet one that could break 6lb line. YA GOT TO TRY IT

6. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Dave my friend sssshhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!