BEST TYPE OF SINKER MOLDS FOR A BEGINNER

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by maverick43812, Apr 10, 2009.

1. maverick43812

maverick43812 New Member

State:
    ohio
    WAS JUST KINDA WONDERING WHAT THE BEST TYPE OF MOLD WOULD WORK BEST FOR SOMEONE JUST STARTIN OFF MAKIN THERE OWN SINKERS OR IF IT REALLY EVEN MATTERS

2. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It really don't matter. You need to get the mold that has the style of sinkers you want to use. When you melt your lead make sure you are cautious and well ventilated.

3. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    it really doesnt matter whatever you use but when you first start pouring the mold may not fill up when it is cold once it gets hot your in busines

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    you may want to buy different type of weights until you find what you want to use. Its bad when you buy a mold and then decide its not what you want.

I have several molds because I fish a lot of different places.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Look up the Do-It-Molds and pick the best one for the style and area you fish. I prefer the No Roll Sinker Molds

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    yep several chioces I use bank-no roll egg and splitshot...working on having them all... I fish alot of different enviorements and one style sinker isnt gonna cut it!...when pouring lead keep all water away from lead it gets nastey if you add water...nothing good will come ...believe me...ya need good venalation and keep em hot they poor better.....

7. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I mostly use bank and flat bank sinkers, and there easy to pour.

8. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    Its more inpotant to have clean stock and consitant heat of your lead and molds. I use a 5 quart cast iron pot on a turkey frying burner for bulk heating and cleaning and then I use a bottom spout melting pot to pour molds, and if the lead is not fairly clean it cloggs up. For the same reason I never use the last 2 inches in the bottom with out adding more stock and bring it back up to temp. I use my bulk pot to save time of adding cold stock to pour pot. If the stock or the mold isnt hot enough you will end up with wavey finishes or shorts. If it is to hot you can end up with warp molds and burnt handles. Thats why I pour 3-4 good molds and then let the mold cool a little while I pour 3-4 of another. You can go back and forth this way and maintain mold temps and be fairly efficent. With some help I can crank out some major weights in a couple of hours.