Best type of flathead catfish set up....

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by CaTfIsHKyLe, Nov 6, 2006.

1. CaTfIsHKyLe

CaTfIsHKyLe New Member

State:
    AZ
    Ok all you catmasters.... What is your Favorite set up for fishing for these monsters.

Here is what I run..

Rod:
    I have a Seeker 25pound rod ( slatwater rod ) nice soft tip with plenty of back bone ( i think ) to land some monster.
    Reel:
    Avet ?? reel. Two drag settings ( 1st one is 9lbs and 2nd one is 17 pounds) wich is nice.
    Line:
    80 pound spectra ( power pro)
    Hook:
    0/8- 0/10 gammi circle hooks.
    Learder:
    Steel learder ( like 100 or 110 pound)

2. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    This year I used my old Berkley E-Cat #4s paired with Abu Garcia 7000s. And a couple heavy action Jim Moyer BOSS rods paired with Abu 7000 Big Game reels. I cannot stress how well an E-cat performs. If you can buy one for less than 90 bucks Jump on it. Best rod ever made for flathead fishing.

For hooks I only use Gamakatsu Octopus in 8,9,10 ought. 10 mostly

I use 80lb power pro line, with south bend sinker slides, and Berkley swivels in 80 and 60 lb strength. With 4 to 6 oz bank sinkers. I usually use a 13 to 16 inch leader. But the most important part of the whole rig is the bait. I spend extra time to catch my bait from the river I fish. In the spring its easy, toss out the net and get giant shad. When the water gets hot you gotta turn to Gills and carp and bass, crappie...etc. All caught on rod and reel. I Catch larger fish on (river) bait than any pond caught bait or store bait.

3. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    THe only thing I can say is that you sond like you are stout enough for the big ones. I fish heavy action penn long beach with penn 320gti and 80lb power pro with an 9/0 king kahle. I dont like the circle hooks for big flatheads because I seem to miss a lot of good bites with them that is why I switched to the king kahles. I do use the gamagatsu 9/0 octopus circle for everything else though. Good luck.

4. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I use Heavy action Tsunami spinning rods, 7' since I fish from the boat. On them are Shimano 6500B Baitrunner spooled with 40# big game. I use Sea Striker 2/0 swivels, 80# Gorilla braid leaders, 7-10/0 Gamakatsu octopus hooks, and 4-5 oz no roll sinkers. This works the best for me and I have tried a lot of different rigs.

5. catchaser1

catchaser1 Active Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    I use silstar catfish master rods with 6500s and 6000 with gamakatsu 8/0 ocotpus circles. Where can I find these hooks bigger than that. The biggest I have seen is 8/0 at bass pro shops. I love these hooks

6. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I dont use octopus circles, just regular octopus. They make regular octopus up to 10/0 they also have big river hooks up to 12/0. I always hook my fish on the regular octopus, hooks are so sharp it goes right through the bone on the top of their mouth. You cant go wrong with anything Gamakatsu, hands down best hooks for the money IMHO.

7. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    this is just my all around catfish setup b/c i dont have flatheads around here they are all within an hour of me. i have a wildcat trophecat 7'6" rod with a eagleclaw the beast spinning reel with 20# line. i usually use 3/0 kahle hooks. so hopefully i catch a biggun this spring!

8. ClayDog

ClayDog New Member

State:
    Maysville,Kentucky
    Well I like too have a little fight:lol: But here's mine.

10' Ugly Stick MH
    30 lb Mossy oak Classic Line
    Ambassaduer 6500
    3 ounce no roll
    8/0 Gama Octopus

9. Catfish Killer

Catfish Killer New Member

State:
    Pa.
    I use a 7 foot Tigers MH rod with an Abu Garcia C3 6500 & Ambassadeur Record
    RCN60HC, 80 LB Spider Wire, 3 oz bank sinker with a home made 80 LB liter with a Poly Ball attached, and extra beads for rattle. Topped of with live Blue Gill or Sucker. The Flatheads have only been where I live for about 8 years, but there starting to get big, so I am going big.

Ps

I don't Kill them.

10. tomnt369

tomnt369 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    DYNOMITE!!!!!...naw just kiddin. I jug fish alot with heavy anchors, 2 big Khale hooks to each jug. Live shad 4 to 6 inches. I love it when you grab the float and you get that big, strong tug back at you.

11. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well When I'm rod fishing I use South bend Catfish special 7' rods with Shakespeare Tidewater 10L reels. I have 4 of them, they handle Trilene big game 30 to 50 lb test with ease and work great!! Plus I bought them for under $45.00 each. That was for the combo. I have a Ugly stick with a 6000 and a couple of other rods too but the South Bends are my bread and butter. #30lb big game is what I use most with a 3 oz egg weight "beat flat with a nail in to so it will not roll". I good brass swivel and a 3/0 tp 6/0 Kahle hook. The hook is made to fit the bait as far as the size goes. I do have two rods set up with 50lb test for the big baits when I get them. Over 1 lb is what I call big bait. Under that is just a good bait. I hand size green ear perch is my best size.

12. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    for now i just use 2 abu 6000's,penn 9,penn 309,abu fs200 8 foot rods.but soon i hopeing to get 2 9 foot catmaxx rods for my 6000's,i mainly fish a good sized lake so i think the 6000's and catmaxx's will be enough.

13. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    ugly stick tiger rod,okuma catalina,40#suffex and 8/0 gama circle

14. catchaser1

catchaser1 Active Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    those catmaxx rods are real good

15. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    2 Tiger M/H Rods... 2 Tidewater Baitcasters... 7/0 and 8/0 Gamagatsu circle hooks... 4-5 oz no roll sinkers... 50lb magic braid...

16. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have two heavy cat rigs i use, the first is a 7 foot ugly stik cat rod with an ambassadeur 6000 spooled with 50 pound power pro. i use 30 pound big game for a leader. the other rig is a 7 foot berkley reflex with the same 6000 and same line/leader. for the hook i use the saltwater eagle claw 4/0 or 7/0 octopus circle hook with my own snells. at the top of the leader i tie a surgeon's loop. i pass the loop through my swivel, then run the hook through the loop. i have been using this method for a couple of years now and i believe it is stronger than just tying the leader to the swivel. i haven't caught any flatheads over 40 pounds on this setup, but i have never lost a fish on it either!

17. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I use trotlines and sethooks.On my trotlines I use 6/0-10/0.Just depends on where they are set and what kind of bait I have.On my set hooks I use 9/0-11/0 J style hooks or 14/0-16/0 circle hooks.I always use the biggest baits I can,mainly brim or mudcat.

18. bushwack

bushwack New Member

State:
    missouri
    i use cheap ole zebcos and and rods from wallmart,, maybe 30 dollars for the whole rig,, drill a hole in some 3 and 4 ounce truck wheel weights and tie em on the end of the line, and 9 or 10 gamma octopuss hooks ( NOT circles)./

Have caught 35 in the last two weeks

19. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The best set up is a abu 7000 with a ugly stik tiger. 150lb. power pro. with mustad big gun live bait hook.
    In mine and many others opinion The bigger your tackle the bigger your chances of landing bigger and more fish.

20. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa