Best Trout Worm ????

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by BILLY HOLCOMB, Feb 15, 2008.

1. BILLY HOLCOMB

BILLY HOLCOMB New Member

State:
    WINFIELD,MO
    need some advis on how to use them and which is the best.the berkley have been doing good but is there better??

2. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    for trout man i think nightcrawlers is nightcrawlers i grew up fishin for nothn but trout. as for hookin um thread it on a reqular small j hook or a snelled hook if you prefer

3. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Depends on the size of the fish, how picky or spooky the fish are in you area, and how much current you are dealing with.

Nightcrawlers of course, are a mainstay in all the fishing I do, especially growing up, where I have caught litterally everything in my area on them. However, sometimes they are just too bulky of a bait, especially if current is a bit lower, the fish are a bit spooky, or if you're dealing with a lot of "stocky" sized fish which sometimes have trouble getting a whole worm down. In cases like this you can either use a partial bait, or worm choice #2.

In such said instances, I'll swith to either a redworm or angleworm, depending on local availability. Back in Iowa angleworms are all over the place, where here in NC redworms are more prevalant. Matched with light gear and a small hook, they can be deadly on finicky fish or fishing in a bit slower current with a more "natural" sink rate.

Fishing either way can be effective, nightcralwers I like to either thread through the head or hooked once through the "collar". Redworms I'll either just hook once through the nose, or once through the tail. Hooking through the tail can be especially effective in slow current. Either way, keep weights to as minimal as possible, and allow baits to drift from in front of the fish, or in the case of lake fishing, place all baits in the path of the fish.

Hope that this helps out.:wink:

4. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    I also use crawlers but I use a worm blower or shrynge to blow the tail up so it will float of off the bottom. This is a killer tacktic to catch those finicky fish.:wink:

5. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 New Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    hello billy, i think every loves nightcrawlers but i use the garden worms that you find around the house. nightcrawlers are great but the garden worms are smaller in diameter and they have more movement in the water which i like.

I think you were asking about berkley 3" trout worms. I have used every color they got and to be honest it just depends on the trout that day what color they want. they are pretty expensence but they last a long time. in lakes i but them on a jig head and jig them under a bobber but in a stream I just use a hook and a couple split spots and drift fish them. You want to hook them in the middle of the body as you get the movement. good luck fishn

6. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    When I was a kid I'd catch these worms we called juicers. They were about 4" and firm. They spazed out when handled and left goo on you as a defense mechanism. We could only find then in areas where there was a lot of leaf litter & rich soil. They were deffinately not the same as the nightcrawlers we hunted at night.

7. baldy804

baldy804 New Member

State:
    wyoming
    nightcrawler injected with air keeps it just off bottom gets those finacky fish to bit alot of times here in wyoming its trout heaven just about everykind of trout emaginable cutthrout brookies browns rainbows lake trout ect i have also had good success with salmon eggs and velvetta cheese good luck:wink:

8. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I'll take a redworm anyday.

9. tigman

tigman New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Berkly truot worms always work for me. Seems I catch more on Pink Shad colr in the spring.

10. PAWPAWME

PAWPAWME New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    HERE IN GA.WE USE CORN BUT SOMETIMES THERE ARE REGULATIONS ON IT DEPENDING ON WHERE YOU ARE FISHING.RED-WIGGLERS WORK GOOD TOO.

11. Water Wolf

Water Wolf New Member

State:
    Colorado
    Maggots, Wax Worms, and Leeches are great alternatives to the standard night crawler. You can also try floating a red San Juan worm fly behind a bubble if you are on a stream, but that fly might be a local Colorado fly not sure.

12. Water Wolf

Water Wolf New Member

State:
    Colorado
    Most worms will work. I do think Night Crawlers are the best all around though. I fish for Trout year round and have caught them on every thing. I really like a minnow under a bobber, worms, spinner like Rooster Tails and Panther Martins, Kastmasters, and Rapalas.

I caught the Rainbow in my pic with an 1/8oz brown Rooster Tail.

:0a23: