best trot line bait

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by justwannano, Aug 23, 2008.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    So whats your best fall trot line bait?
    have a good one
    just

2. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    Shad/Bluegill hands down.

3. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    shad alive or cut and carp

i use them both if i have them and when i get lazy i use bluegill and bullheads

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I alternate each hook between live perch, and cut shad. If one seems more productive when I run the line, I may switch to one or the other. Just use what's available, and what they eat, and you will do fine. For me, and where I fish, I can find no valid reason to use something different. Bullheads can be good bait too. I just haven't had any luck on them like with perch and shad.

5. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    Live sunperch,bluegill,and crawfish that I freeze early in the year.

6. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    To me it depends whether you're targeting flatheads and large channels or not, live bluegill's the best bait for them; but's there's natural baits that are prevalent this time of year in every section of the U.S. i.e. grasshoppers, catalpa worms, and other insects that will catch all types of fish (using smaller hooks also). Sometimes I like to run a trotline with the idea that I never know what I may catch next (someone said, "the river's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get".)

7. catfish10101

catfish10101 New Member

State:
    Des Allemands,
    Cut eel is best around here, then cut shad.

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    live bluegill by far the best!

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    That depends on what your fishing for.
    If your after smaller fish, And can get Grass hoppers this time of year. They are the best for say 10 lb down.
    If you can not get them. Take shad and cut into the size baits you would like to use. Take a gallon jug Plastic or glass. Dig a hole in the ground, And place the jug with your bait in it and filled the rest of the way up with water. Put in the ground. And cover with something that will not allow anything to get to the bait. And also that will keep the cool air around the jug. In 24 hours your bait is soured but not rotten. It will or should have turned red, And have a smell to it. If your one that does not like to get the smell on your hands. Wear gloves.( doing the bait in the ground allows the bait to stay firm not turn into mush like it does out of the ground)
    The fish are feeding on dead stuff and if some your catching have the Runs. You can bet they will tear this soured bait up.
    This works with shad or skipjack. And buffalo or carp will also work.
    If you have what there feeding on, You catch a boat load. But of your bait is not what there after, You will not do as well.
    When we were fishing for a living we switched baits as soon as our catch started dropping off. We would start using different baits. and most times would bait every other hook with one bait, And then the next with something else.
    The soured shad or skipjack will when cut into big pieces wear the big blues out also.
    Pete

I use post hole diggers to dig a hole that just fits the jig. And I keep a 12"x12" landscaping block over my hole. We have a hole at the place down by the river, That is 25 years old.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    There will be several things to consider when picking a 'best' bait. Here in central Arkansas, you can pretty well figure that cut shad or skipjack is going to get the most bites. From everything! I used to trotline the outlet cove at the nuclear plant near Dardanelle/Russellville/London continuously from early spring till the water got down low enough on the main river to jugfish...usually early June. The turtles in that cove were so happy to see me drive up that they'd all lay on the surface on their backs, clapping their flippers together, saying, "Yaaay, it's suppertime!" I'd bait up my lines with cut shad, and they'd have it stripped within an hour. Despite what's been posted here about catching catfish on a bare hook, I've always had the opinion, "No bait, no bites!" I had several lines out, and as soon as I finished baiting the last one, I went back to the first one and started rebaiting. Then I did the same thing a third time. By that time, the turtles were pretty well full, and they'd leave my bait alone so I could catch some fish. If I'd known about using chitlings for bait back then, that's what I'd have been using, because the turtles can't get them off the hook. No, chitlings won't get as many bites as fresh cut shad, but they will catch a lot more fish than a bare hook. The same thing applies to using soap for bait. It's a really slow bite; but, nothing but catfish will hit it. I've heard the same thing about mineature marshmallows, but I've never tried them, so I can't comment firsthand on that. So, if you have a problem with bait being eaten by something other than catfish, if you're only checking your lines once a day, the 'best' bait may not be the one that the catfish like the most.

11. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I like to use cut sucker, carp and for live bait bream is my choice ,also night crawlers work good

12. Rtpcat

Rtpcat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Shilo red,
    Do you do that now in the summer? I mean south Al still has 90-96 air temps depending on the day. I would have thought it would rot.

13. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    The hot weather is why you bury it. We used to cut our bait up. Only to have to watch it. Or it would turn into mush.
    But bury it and that is no issue. We used it more in hot weather for that reason.
    If its cooler we would still just put it in a jug of water above ground.
    Also take the same cut bait. And Red food coloring. And the red bait does and did out catch standard bait.
    Shoot we would use about any flavor to add to our bait. and it all works. Just some better then others.
    Also as Jtrew was posting. We waited until just about dark to put out our jumper lines. Late like that the bait would not all be ripped off. But put them out say 3 hours before dark and the hooks were bare. It funny how that in daylight the smaller fish and others would steal the bait.
    But we put ours out at dark and took them back up at daylight.
    Pete

14. daddyrabbit

daddyrabbit New Member

State:
    Lake City S.C.
    An eel is the deal that they just can't steal !!! Ha ha !:smile2:

15. CatfishAngler25

CatfishAngler25 New Member

State:
    Prestonsburg,Kentucky
    Here were i live in the rivers and lakes bluegill,cut baits, and i even use livers you can use about anything on a trotline as long as the bait stays on for long periods of time. A trotline is set to leave a while and come back to see whats there. Any bait that can last on the hook until the fish has takin it

16. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I trot line out on the Mississippi alot above St. Louis. The bait you use depends on the fish you are going after. Me and my buddies, we target flatheads, so that being said we use live bait. We use mostly bluegill in the 4" range, I have heard a lot of people say go bigger for bigger fish but my personal belief is if you have your line set were a big hungry cat is huntin, it dont matter if the fish is 4 or 8 inches, the only thing you might gain is the 8" fish might be more lively and bouncin around. That being said, my favorite bait are goldfish in the 6" range, had a buddy that used to be able to get them cheap, and they are lively for a good two or three days (as long as you dont set the line out in a lot of current), that ways you wont have to worry about rebaitin all of your hooks with new live bait every time out. Another bonus to the live bait is blues and chanels will take it just as eagerly as they do cut shad, and the cut shad is only good for so amny hours then it looses it sent, a hooed bluegill or goldfish will slowly bleed for a long time. Remember, everything that people tell you are what they have found works best for them, trial and error are the only way for you really to learn.

CHad

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Excellent point about keeping in mind that what works great for one person may not work for you; or vice versa. This is an excellent place to get great ideas, but you have to evaluate all of them as to how well they work for you.

18. afatcat

afatcat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    use the bait that in the water you are fishing:wink:

19. rjs1178

rjs1178 New Member

State:
    GA
    Grass hoppers fish em shallow

20. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member