Best trolling motor

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by TX Fisherman, Dec 27, 2006.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    i need a trolling motor, and i dont know what the best one is, does anyone know of a good tough trolling motor?

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    How big of a rig are you going to use it on and how rough of a body of water.

3. Denny H

Denny H New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've tried both a MinKota and Motor Guide. My personal favorite is the Minkota as it seemed more durable and longer lasting. But I'm sure this is the same as Chevy or Ford....

4. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I've used the Minkota two seasons now & really like it. I just have the small 40# push unit, really like the telescoping tiller. Much nicer than the Motor Guide I've tried.
    :smile2:

5. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I have had only Minn Kota TM's. I have used them in salt and freshwater as well. I liked the maximizer circutry. and the extender handle is nice. I have made front mounts for them, and use two on both of my boats...I have had one die on me... Just replace it when it goes they are not the expensive ones... $150 or less

bayrunner ray

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    If your looking for foot control, my favorite is a Minkota. Motor guide foot controlls need to be anchored down in one spot, at least the ones I've used did.

I've heard good reviews on the Minkota remote controlled units also.

7. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I really like my Motorguide energy 44 lb. thrust. But you guys seem to have me out-numbered! I have the transom mount series.

8. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    I have owned both and my preference is the Motor Guide.

9. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have both brands of trolling motors,and had good luck with both,but I believe I like the Minnkota better. I have the power drive model,with the remote foot control. I can operate it from anywhere in my boat,which makes it very handy.
    Glenn

10. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    The Bass Tracker had a MinnKota and it was old and smaller. Have this ProCraft boat now with a Motor Guide and it really moves it thru the water especially on the 24V circuit. Hard to steer in the 24V mode tho. Takes both feet and hard pushing

11. ar_confederate

ar_confederate New Member

State:
    Minden, Lo
    I have both brands of motor as well. I really like the Motorguide better. Its a front mount foot control unit.

12. jsk30

jsk30 New Member

State:
    NC
    I like to use Minkota

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have three different trolling motors on three different boats. I have a minnkoto, motorguide, and a johnson. The johnson is a 12/24 volt and is superior to the other two. It's a matter of preference. They are all good t-motors. I would strongly consider SERVICE as an important point when buying.