Best tow vehicle for 3 grand?

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by Panfish Bill, Feb 7, 2018.

1. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Late last summer paid $2500 for 2000 Chevy Tahoe 4x4 with 150k mile on it,, been a great truck so far, had a bad 4x4 button switch 15 bucks and 10 min to change it out good to go,, changed the oil, new plugs, hoses and belts, and a new set of tires at 700 bucks,,, have put 5000 miles on it now and running great,,,, with millons of the plder gas hog Tahoes (my mpg hwy 18 city 12)being made can buy them cheep,,, dont waste your money a Ford Expedition and their rear air bag suspension jmo

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  2. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Pic of the Tahoe 20180210_170505.jpg

Rodbolt likes this.

3. Panfish Bill

Panfish Bill Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    My last experience with putting a Kayak on top of a vehicle ended in disaster. That is why I want something with a bed (truck).

4. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I hauled a 17 foot coleman on top of my 82 mustang and my 81 280ZX. many thousand miles. You got to learn to tie stuff down.
    Later made hitches for both of them and pulled a trailer I made from a Chevy s10 frame.

But I will agree you need an early carbed Chevy. They will return better MPG than the Fords.
    I have had over 250 vehicles and I used to drive 70,000+ miles a year and the wife did the same so you get to test a lot of vehicles. lots of oil changes and lot of tire changes.

I usually build my own vehicles this way if it breaks down it is on me.

Current ride is 57 chevy 4 door car with 350/350 and 9" ford truck rear end with chevy truck springs.
    A 47 dodge truck with 9" truck rear on ford springs and pinto front suspension I had a few SBC's in it.
    Both serve tow duty and hunt/fish duties.. not afraid to scratch them.

3500 invested in the 57 chevy and 3000 in the 47 dodge.
    That includes purchase price tag enew tires everything to put it on the road.
    Kind of matters how far you willing to go to get what you want.
    And what your mechanical skill is. New vehicles do not impress me in the MPG department when you put a load on them.
    My small block chevy stuff does not seem to care if there is a load. I can still pull 16-18 MPG pulling my boat to the lake. 75 bayliner or my 20 foot pontoon. I have pulled with fuel injected 4 cylinders and FI v6 and new 5.3 LS trucks.. none get the MPG of the 350" carbed pulling my boats.
    My sons 2014 chevy truck with 5.3LS and 6 speed automatic got 14 MPG pulling the bayliner. I got 17 with with my 47 dodge with bayliner in tow and had 1200lbs of 4 wheeler and gear in the bed.
    Spent some time on a wheel dyno. 14.5 afr part throttle cruise Carter AFB carb.
    10.87 compression.
    There are a lot of inexpensive vehicles out there you just need to be on top of the classified adds to get the good one.

Good luck in your quest. I hope you get a keeper.
    001.JPG

5. Panfish Bill

Panfish Bill Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I do love older vehicles!

It was tied down amazingly well. It stayed on the roof rack for a good half mile under that truck. The professionally installed rack came off due to a design flaw that is inherent to most compact cars. Unless you have solid groves or bumps in your door jam avoid putting on a roof rack. It's an accident waiting to happen. I even remember checking it before leaving the lake.

6. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Man that is terrible.

I figured you could tie a knot.
    I hate roof racks of the universal kind.
    I made one for the top of my Van it was round tube and angle iron bolted down.
    I had a 4x4x8 foot live trap on top and went 150 miles to the hunt ground and down a jeep trail I went ..hit a low branch on a big tree and broke my rops smooth off and that trap landed on the ground behind me.
    Trap was not hurt and the rack stayed put on top of the van.

I have had many old rides wish I kept a few of them I sold.

This one got deer and fish tossed in it many times. just like all my vehicles.
    Notice the offset hood scoop I built. It isn't stock. Ported head 8500rpm cam and 4 barrel intake.
    canoe z 001.JPG

Panfish Bill likes this.