Best tow vehicle for 3 grand?

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by Panfish Bill, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Panfish Bill

Panfish Bill Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I wanted a Ford F150 but man the prices are just about as crazy as Toyotas are here in East Tennessee. What other options should I consider? I really need a bed to haul with so an SUV or an Outback is out of the question.

2. Khh27

Khh27 Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Kyle harlan
    What are you planning in towing?

3. Panfish Bill

State:
    Tennessee
    Either a small pontoon boat or an 1860 sized boat in the future (could be far future). Currently it would be to tow my buddy's 1648 Tracker Grizzly and maybe toss a Kayak in the bed.

4. Beastly Backlash

Beastly Backlash Well-Known Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Name:
    Nick
    Nissan Frontiers might be an option for you.

I have the SUV version of a frontier, the xterra, and it will haul every bit of 5000lbs easy. The Frontier is rated the same.

5. Rodbolt

Rodbolt Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Larry
    The best tow vehicle for $3,000 is the one you are capable of, willing to and have the money for doing the repairs yourself. I'm sure you know the reason that Toyotas and other high resale value vehicles cost more is not for their name or good looks, it's because they cost less to own/operate over time. Think value.

I've worked for, owned and operated auto/truck repair facilities and towing services for decades. I've never ever wanted or bought a new vehicle (started my work career in new car dealership) but always own high mileage, well maintained/clean vehicles - by choice. $3,000 to $5,000 dollars is the amount of money I advise to be retained in a "repair fund" for a lower priced truck to be used as a tow vehicle. The purchase price should be significantly (!) more. Even though I can buy a new truck outright (not going to happen), I can't afford the cheapest low end cars, trucks, farm equipment etc. because they cost too much in the long run. Buy value instead.

You asked so just trying to be helpful, :) It is fun hunting the right-bargain- whatever!

crcanter and RedmanWV like this.
  6. RedmanWV

RedmanWV Active Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Name:
    Adam
    80s model Chevy K10. Best trucks ever.

Luther76 likes this.
  7. MattTheFlatCatKid

MattTheFlatCatKid Well-Known Member

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Matthew Moore
    I have a Ford ranger 4.0 I bought for $4995. All it needed was an egr valve replaced. I haven't had any issues with it. I looked for over a year before finding it and as soon as I did I went and got it. I found it on Craigslist. You might find a decent truck on there. Or get an auto & rv catalogue. They're usually free.

david hobbs and glimsty like this.
  8. Brackish*Water

Brackish*Water Active Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Wesley
    How far will you be towing? Is this just to get your boat back and forth to a local ramp or will you be doing road trips?
    I currently use a 1980 Bronco and coincidentally paid 3 grand for it. But I pulled the straight six and sleeved the rear crankshaft sleeve (grooved), sleeved the harmonic balancer, new timing seal, oil pan gaskets, rear main seal etc and all of that was to stop the hemmoraging of oil. Since then I had to rebuild the np208 transfer case, replaced master cylinder, pinion seal, u-joints, double cardan fun, IMG_20171209_153756816.jpg rear axle seal on one side..... probably lots of other stuff....most recently did the intake and exhaust manifold gaskets.

MattTheFlatCatKid likes this.
  9. MattTheFlatCatKid

MattTheFlatCatKid Well-Known Member

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Matthew Moore
    Love them broncos. Not the best getaway vehicle though..

grassrat likes this.
  10. prlwng

prlwng Member Supporting Member

State:
    south dakota. sioux falls area
    Name:
    bill
    Loved the bronco I had also. It was great for plowing snow, fishing, camping, etc. Nice short turning, posi traction. Just could not keep brakes in it. Fourth time brakes w0ent out it went to junk yard. Gave 1200 for it.

Got a 200 dollar ford f150, put tires and wheels from bronco on it, battery, plow, etc. Use it to pull boats around yard. Would not trust it to pull boat with bumper hitch or mechanically to go 250 mile round trip to river.

11. Brackish*Water

Brackish*Water Active Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Wesley
    I love my Bronco I actually have a 2015 F350 but I don't take it anywhere near salt water.
    So yeah I love my Bronco it's boolitproof but I will never ever buy or own anything again without a truck bed. I also will never ever again buy anything without a truck bed.
    IMG_20170827_135942718.jpg

12. mark12

mark12 Member

State:
    you need to put your state in
    Name:
    mark lemist
    I had a Ford. It was great. Then it broke down. Then it broke down again. Like your first girlfriend. Total disappointment.

13. Panfish Bill

State:
    Tennessee
    Fix Or Repair Daily

I can fix most issues in vehicles. I've resurrected several older F250 diesels where the previous owner had no clue on what to do. The only thing I am amazingly bad at is a carb. If I just take a look at a carb it will break.

I want some distance ability too (irony). If there is a big tournament in Santee Cooper I wanna tow my boat there to win it. Maybe toss a kayak in the bed and go to Florida to chase some Snook on a nice weekend. I know gas costs will go out the window and I am little spoiled with the low electric (and gas) cost of my Chevy Volt. I may be the only person in the universe who is putting stinky skipjack in the back of and catfish poles into an electric hybrid vehicle. I had a roof rack on the Volt. Had being the key word. It went under a big truck with my Kayak strapped to it on the interstate.

Maybe a Ranger is a better idea than an F150.

14. mark12

mark12 Member

State:
    you need to put your state in
    Name:
    mark lemist
    You went under a truck in a volt?

15. Horsehead

Horsehead Active Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Name:
    Jeff
  16. Panfish Bill

State:
    Tennessee
    No the kayak and roof rack came off my Volt and was run over by a big truck.

17. D schuerenberg

D schuerenberg Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri. Matthews
    Name:
    D SCHUERENBERG
    I picked up a old work van 600$ put 6 more in it tires were 400 of the 6 I have pulled my boat over 100 miles one way but mostly use for short trips I like that can lock gear in side if I stop to eat or something

Panfish Bill likes this.
  18. D schuerenberg

D schuerenberg Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri. Matthews
    Name:
    D SCHUERENBERG
  19. Panfish Bill

State:
    Tennessee
    I have considered a van. You can set them up with beds and camp with them too. Getting a kayak in there may be an issue. Does your have room for a 10 foot kayak?

20. JByrd

JByrd Active Member

State:
    S.C.
    Name:
    Thomas D Price
    Kayak could be put on top?