Best tips

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by iowacatsmacker, Mar 21, 2007.

1. iowacatsmacker

iowacatsmacker New Member

State:
    murray,iowa
    New guy to the boc, hello to all, hey what would be your best tips for lake cats, in spring or pre spawn? time. I LOVE THIS STUFF, and thanks for any good tips.

2. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    Here in south Texas they are in the shallow water feeding on Shad and mussles. Saw an interesting sight last thursday. We were anchored in 6 ft. water, 75 yds off the waters edge. The Cormorants and Pellicans made a pass between our boat and the bank. The Cormorants were diving and swiming along the edge of the water and some were taking off and flying over the the rest and landing and diving in front of the mass. The shad were actually jumping out of the water trying to escape. Where the birds roost in the trees is also good fishing. Punch bait under a cork three to six feed deep is good. We tied up to a tree where the birds had been my wife caught 5 fish before I could get a hook in the water. We cleaned 43 fish and had a five gallon bucket 3/4 full of fillets.

3. jlcclh

jlcclh New Member

State:
    Virginia
    If you can afford it, hire a guide for the first time. Pay close attention to detail on everything. Ask him every question under the sun: what, where, when, and WHY? Guides usuall have tons of experience and most are more than willing to share alot of their knowledge.:big_smile:

4. Snake Charmer

Snake Charmer New Member

State:
    Ca/Nv/Az
    My Best tip....Never use a metal stringer...Never run the rope or nylon stringer through the gills and out the mouth...Always poke through the bottom jaw and string....One Stringer for one fish, if bigger fish....As twisting fish will get Mangle mouth and swim away!

5. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    welcome to the BOC. fish the waters several times always taking an assortment of baits. be patient, move after 20-30 minutes of no bites. best of luck.

6. FISHINSANTEE

FISHINSANTEE New Member

State:
    sc
    Welcome to the BOC. An older fella told me one time to stay at a new spot for at least an hour, if you get no bites move along. I am always trying new spots, however it is hard not to go back to a spot you have caught fish before, but you have to try new spots.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Chuck Welcome to the BOC. Take different types of bait and experiment in several areas until the fish show you what they prefer that day on that lake.:lol: :big_smile: :0a18: :0a25: :0a25: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

8. whiskerlover

whiskerlover New Member

State:
    St. joseph Missouri
    Welcome Chuck. Shad guts have been working well here in missouri.

9. 390fe

390fe New Member

State:
    Creston, Iowa,
    Chuck, welcome to the BOC! I live just thirty miles to your west. In the past, we used turkey livers in the pond where I did most of my catfishing. It has since been bought by another owner who won't allow fishing... I'm in the same boat you are, looking and learning.

10. iowacatsmacker

iowacatsmacker New Member

State:
    murray,iowa
    the pro's say to use cut bait

11. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Welcome to the BOC Chuck were glad yer here!!!

12. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    welcome to the BOC Chuck.

13. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    Just keep looking on the BOC and using the tips you find on here and you will catch more fish,and have more fun.Chime in and let us know what works in your waters so as to help others,thats what makes this the best fishing site anywhere:big_smile:

14. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Welcome to the BOC Chuck.

Best tip i can give you is: Take a kid, family member, or friend fishing with you. In a month or a year you may forget what fish you've caught that day, but you'll remember the time spent with a loved one. You just never know if you'll ever get another chance.

15. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Welcome to the BOC!

16. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm not too sure about prespawn patterns, but I know a spot where this time of year, I can cast out beside a certain log with a worm or shad, and catch channels in about 10 feet of water. Everyplace has got it's quirks, but the fish should be getting active now, and moving out of their wintering holes. If the bottom is relatively clean, I would fish on the bottom near some structure. Where I'm talking about there is just 1 log sticking out of the water, but for whatever reason the fish hold there this time of year. 10 feet to either side, and no bites.

17. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    Welcome to the boc. I always take a variety of baits and move around alot. Just like the other people said. Even if you dont catch any it is still fun. Better then being at work

18. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    If you have a river or larger creek feeding the lake start fishing there. Alot of the lake fish will travel upstream to look for spawning sites. Not all will though, some will find suitable habitat in the lake. But enough will swim by to make it worthwhile. Use fresh cut shad. The river that feeds the lake near me has channels up to 12 or so lbs from may thru june.

19. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The best tip I can give you is... you gotta turn this dang machine off to get any fishin' done...:lol: Oh, yeah, Welcome to the BOC...:big_smile:

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Allow Your Own Inner Light to Guide You

20. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Chuck,Welcome to the B.O.C. the best place on the web..When I fish a new lake I will take 4-5 Rig's to try and find what bait work there,I will put out one with a nightcrawler one with Hogwild I will catch some shad and bluegil and rig one with live bluegill and one with cutt bluegill and one with cutt shad.With that out there you will find what they are eating.look for a spot that has some cover in it,Logs rocks ledges creekbed COVER is te key!! This is what Id do on a lake where Iv never fished.Hope this help's ya out.and again Welcome to the BROTHERHOD OF CATFISHERMEN.