Best times to fish?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by mister_whiskers, Jan 2, 2010.

1. mister_whiskers

mister_whiskers New Member

State:
    nc
    when do the fish start and stop the bite on the upper neuse and cape fear?

2. mister_whiskers

State:
    nc

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    This is going to sound stupid but they're always biting somewhere. To me there really isn't a "best" time to go. If you've got the chance to go, well go:wink: Just gotta get out there and fish!

4. mister_whiskers

State:
    nc
    Well your right about they are always biting somewhere lol
    I see you did pretty good with those blues the other day down river but I didnt see any flats though and I have yet to catch a blue up in knightdale where I fish ...Just trying to find out when they start biting up here

5. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    with the river up get you shad and eel whenever you get a chance to slip off and go and hope for the best , and good luck thisyear to everyone

6. rellis

rellis New Member

State:
    Raleigh NC
    where abouts are you fishing the neuse at greg? i usually go off of rogers lane in your area. i have had good luck with flats between there and pool road. havent been out to the the river in about 4 weeks so im not sure what is going on right now. im like you though i havent caught a big blue from there yet. biggest i think was about 10 pounds but have caught some 30 pound flats in that area.

7. amk29

amk29 New Member

State:
    Durham, NC
    rellis,
    you been going out lately? i haven't been in a while but may make more of an effort if i knew they were still biting on the upper neuse. i have caught nice flats on the upper neuse to about 25-30 lbs. channels to about 8-9 lbs and maybe a blue or 2 over the 10lb mark... haven't really hooked into a big blue yet, but truthfully I have been using only live bait for flats, maybe only 1 rig w/ cutbait (for blues) or stinkbait/livers (for channels).

8. rellis

rellis New Member

State:
    Raleigh NC
    Sad to say but i havent been out in awhile. Between work, a new GF, and my fishing buddy having a new baby has really limited my time. The last 2 weekends i was suppose to go out but for one reason or another i havent. I wont be able to go this weekend but i really wanting to go the weekend following that. If i finally have a chance to make it out there I will give ya a yell so we can try to slay some cats together.

9. sharky1

sharky1 New Member

State:
    nc
    I know alot of people who fish the cape fear will agree, some of the best fishing is in the coldest months, the flathead bite slows, but the blues fire up, deep holes are good in the day, but by nite, these fish cruise the shoreline just like in the summer. We anchor up above structure, an fish slip corks near the bank, cut mullet is our bait most of the time, but if u can get a river eel, an cut it in pieces, u got the best bait going. If you plan to fish at nite,it makes it easier to go in the afternoon, search for areas you want to fish, go in close, check the depth close to the bank, try to fish as deep as possible, if the water is 20 feet deep, set your cork for about 12 feet, you are working off the same princiaple as a commercial catman uses when he sets bush hooks, since you are fishing structure, do not free spool with clicker, lock your reel, when you get a strike, get him out as quick as possible, when you feel safe, take your time an enjoy the the fight, theres alot of fish to be caught this time of the year, apply this to most nc rivers that have big blues, it will work, hope this helps

10. rellis

rellis New Member

State:
    Raleigh NC
    I usually fish the shore year round in the upper neuse. Here in Raleigh where I fish the water depth is 3-5 feet throughout most of it with 1-2 holes 7-9 and some areas 1-2 feet. so i figure the depth here isnt gonna matter too much. its hard to drift fish in this area because the river is narrow (can cast from one side to the other with a good cast) and all of the snags. Seems every 30-40 feet is a new set of fallen trees or giant rocks that prevent much of anything except precision casts. I have had good luck at lakes this time of year with blues but my true love is river fishing. It seems like the fish fight harder maybe because they are stronger from the constant current. I would love to figure out a good way to fish this part of the river besides jumping from spot to spot but as far as my knowledge takes me thats about my only choice. you would think since it is so narrow and limited depth it would be easier to target the fish but so far i havent been able to figure out a constant pattern with them. I usually throw out a few lines, drink a cold one and hope for the best. After 30-45 min I try it again some where else. I always feel like i left too soon :) I do seem to have all my bigger fish come from the shore but more from the middle (have to weed out the gar and bowfin although they are fun to catch). Thnaks for the info and I hope to have a few TRUE stories about some biggins that i caught. PS...i fish from a 10 goot plastic boat so when i said i fish from shore i meant I cast to the shore. The current decides if i can anchor or not or have to tie to one of the many fallen timber in the water.

11. amk29

amk29 New Member

State:
    Durham, NC
    Rellis,
    thanks a ton for the posting and all the info. i have only tried 2 spots on the neuse that i though may produce fish based on depth and cover. seems to be hit and miss based on the weather and the water level. in the summer, when the water is down, any rain seems to trigger the flathead bite. nights that are clear w/ a near-full moon have given more channels than flats.
    do you change the way you fish in the winter? i have figured since i was mostly catching flatheads that this time of year would be no good. truthfully, i haven't even gone out later than november when the weather drops a bit. what do you catch in the winter months? blues? channels? still in the same spots, w/ the same patterns? don't mean to steal all your secrets, but would like to learn from someone who has been fishing the river a lot longer than i have, with more success. would also hope to increase the number of times i can go fishing around the calendar.
    thanks as always, adam

12. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    I've found that the fish always seem to bite yesterday. Everytime I get out I hear you should have been hear yesterday:=:)

13. Cathunter Pete

Cathunter Pete New Member

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    The best times to fish is whenever you get the chance to go out on the water and not be at work or doing the honey do lists! As far as time of the year in the winter time the best time IMO is from 4pm to 11pm. During the spring/summer all night long when the river is running normal and there isn't a full moon. The most active time for spring/summer would be IMO from 7pm to 930pm then from 2am to 7am.

14. seth3221

seth3221 New Member

State:
    NC
    I also have found that the more bait in the water the better your chance.