Best times to fish the Tidal James

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by messemore, Jun 11, 2009.

1. messemore

messemore New Member

State:
    Virginia
    It is my understanding that is best to fish the tidal James when the tide is on it's way in.

We have been trying to be on the river when the tide is at it's lowest then fish until the tide is it's highest.

It this the best time to fish, or should you just fish any time at night?

2. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    It really depends on where you're fishing. I fish the Wilcox Wharf and people will say tide in...some tide out. Then some say it just has to be moving water.
    It's a broad question. Sorry I can't offer more.
    Welcome to the Board.
    David

3. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Ask three people and get three answers. I think it "might" depend on where you're fishing at (ex: creeks and shallow water on the incoming, at least for me), but I think any tide is good as the fish will relate to structure more. With that said, Eberwein said he prefers a slack tide, and sure enough my PB came on a slack tide.

On the James, just being out there any time gives you a great shot at big fish.

4. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    My Dad used to say the two best times to fish were when it's raining and when it's not. I think that also applies to tides. Fish when you can and learn how the fish relate to the tides to optimize your time on the water.

Tight lines.