Best times of year for channel catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by wei1, Sep 12, 2006.

1. wei1

wei1 New Member

State:
    new cumberland,pa
    was wondering how early or late into the year PA fisherman fish for cats and when you feel is the best for larger size cats.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Dave, while i am not a PA fisherman I fish for and catch channels almost year round.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you can catch channels year round, they just get really, really slow once water temps dip below 35-38 degrees. even in the dead of winter you can catch them, especdially if you get a hard warm rain that raises the water temps for a few days.

4. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    How about the fall season? Where is a likely spot to fish for channels and bullheads? Shallows or deeper holes?

5. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    we fish for them in the canals until they freeze over and then go to the river.We usually have good luck most of the year.When it gets cold the bite slows down,you need patience to fish in the winter.

6. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    cats have a longer prespawn than any other fish.springtime when the river hits about 50 degrees and rising is your best shot at a monster.its not so much where the water temp is but where it was and where its going.september is usually good but,once the river drops below 50 they do a disappearing act?cant even get them in the deepest wholes where youd think they would set up for the winter.thats when i head to the warm water.

7. jigerjim

jigerjim New Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Although I'm not targeting them, I've cought Channel cat through the ice in the deeper eddy's while looking for Walleye. I usually get them on a jiggin Rapala with a minnow on the middle hook, (fathead) Funny thing most of them are suspended.