Best time to go out for the evening?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by nralover, May 19, 2007.

1. nralover

nralover New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    Tonight will be I and my wife's first catfish outing, as well as our 6 year wedding anniversary. I have us some stout rods and reels, good terminal tackle, and some nightcrawlers and livers. My question is, what time should we start throwing lines in the water? I have heard everyhting from dusk, to midnight and about every other possible time. Which is best?

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Catfish can be taken at any time abd everyriver will be a little different but I have found that around 8 is a great set up time they will start to move as the bait fish move just before night fall

3. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    hey the best time to fish is any time you can,

4. Chrisingeorgia

Chrisingeorgia New Member

State:
    NY
    Happy anniversary. From sunset until midnight is usually a good time. There's usually another flury of action just before or during sunrise, but I don't guess you're staying out that long on your first outing. Good luck!

5. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    NRALOVER,
    Congrats on 6 yrs and many more-have fun.

Best time for catching them (I guarantee it!!) is from X oclock to x oclock or as soon as I can get there til as late as I can stay.:lol:

Don't be fooled by other peoples "times" or "places" unless your plan is trying to mimic thier learned pattern(s).

Fisherman have thier "best times" because they have developed a fishing method (routine) which is appropriate for where the fish are feeding at that time. This concept is often overlooked by many. Simple concept.
    Fish feed 24/7. Just have to find them when you are there.

Best to learn where (which "micro habitat") and how to best fish at any given time and water condition based on what is known or believe the fish to be doing. As always, more time-effort=greater rewards.

You could take the daylight hours to catch bait using the worms while having fun and also thinking-developing a night time strategy for several setup locations to fish after dark.

But its already diner time and you are prob. already there!

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Congrats on 6 years, I hope u catch the big one.

7. MON RIVER RAT

MON RIVER RAT New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    The best time is any time you can go fishing. I like it just after dusk till about 9:00 am. But I have caught fish all day before

8. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    personally i have had most luck from sunset till about 10 by then im getting in toruble from my girl weither she is with me or not lol

9. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Id have to agree with James. Ive found coves that produce better bites during the day and some that are better at night. Everyone else is correct too in saying any time is a good time. Just enjoy the time away from the hustle-bustle of life and enjoy the time with your wife. Thats the most important part. Congrats on your anniv, too!:wink:

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    The hour before sunset till you have to leave. And the hour or two before sunrise till you have to leave. I would like to reccomend that you try to get some shad or small bluegills to use as either live and/or cut bait. The larger fish feed on other fish, they don't look for liver and worms as much. Plus a cut shad or sucker gives off scents they are familiar with as food. If you put out only one rod with cut bait just to try it you should see a difference in catch rates. If you are fishing a lake put out one live gill and one cut or scaled. Cast them just to the edge of the weedline or 4 to 5 ft off the bank. If you will be having a fire or lantern, or will be talking, take one of those live gill poles 20 yrds down the bank and cast it out then walk back in freespool to your site and keep it in sight cause it will get hit and hard. Try not to stomp around on the bank or make loud noises. If you have a lantern put some aluminum foil on one side and try to keep the glare off the water. Big fish hate the light if their bank is usually dark.

11. okiejc

okiejc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Happy anniversary.
    Of course anytime you can go fishing is a good time.
    I like to get there in time to set up and be fishing 1hr before sunset. Fish till you have to go home.
    Catch a big one!:big_smile: