Best time to fish the James?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by mikeozo, Jun 24, 2009.

1. mikeozo

mikeozo New Member

State:
    PA
    I am making my first trip in July but I know I will be back there 2 to 3 times a year.

in order from #1 being the best month and #12 being the worst month, help rank the Catfishing in the james by month.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I like in this order
    #1 March
    #2 April
    #3 Feburary
    #4 January

Does anybody fish the other months?:smile2:

3. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    In my opinion every month except May and June are good to fish. The spawn takes place sometime during those two months. Turn to night fishing in Jul-Sep due to heat. The best times are the cold months, to me the colder the better. November through March was really good to me this year but we caught a 65, 38 and 35 lber the first part of June this year. So if you have time to fish, fish no matter the time of year. A day on the water fishing is much better than a day in the office, catching fish or not.

4. mikeozo

mikeozo New Member

State:
    PA
    How cold is the fishing in the winter months?

5. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    The air temp may get cold but the fishing can be "red hot"! I've had days on the Potomac where the air temp was just above freezing and I couldn't get more than one rod in the water. The bait would just settle to the bottom and a fish would be all over it.

You've got to try it to believe it.

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I've busted ice going through creeks. I've had rods and reels frozen over with thick ice due to the spray hitting them while riding and freezing over. Meanwhile the fishing was red HOTTTTTT.

No pleasure boaters, and fewer fishermen fishing your holes.

Also, I think Kenneth's list is spot on, but for me, I would only say the early part of April, not the entire month.

7. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Virginia is usually pretty mild in the winter. Mornings around freezing warming to 40-50 during the day. The fish in my avitar, I caught during a warm spell in Feb. Probably 65 degrees that afternoon and started out near freezing in the morning. I stay at home on the bitter days. I am lucky that I am close to the James and can more or less pick my days.

8. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    I've launched my boat with the air temp at 18 degrees and it never got above freezing temps but like everyone else said the fishing was hot so temps didn't matter.