best time to catfish

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by wei1, May 29, 2009.

1. wei1

wei1 New Member

State:
    new cumberland,pa
    which is considered better for cats-when the river is rising or falling.

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa

3. They are both good! Only thing I don't like about the rise is it usually starts a debris flow. But either way, I like fishing a mud line and stained water. The Skuke usually is gin clear and I swear that the boat spooks the fish sometimes in those conditions.:cool2:

4. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Rising water has always been better for me. Never really had much luck when the water is falling after a quick rise.

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

WELCOME to the BOC Dave.I,m the opposite,I like it when it,s falling.I,ve had good luck when it,s halfway back to normal pool.

6. Well, like I said, the rise can bring debris, and I got plenty of it tonight compared to Flatties landed!:embarassed: Lot's of river grass and branches floating down and tangling my lines and anchor lines.:angry: I got out there just a few hours too late.:sad2: Got 2 Flatties, 2 misses and pleny of the green stuff.:eek:oooh: Live and learn.....:cool2:

7. 3D Hunter

3D Hunter New Member

State:
    Central,PA
    I've had the most action on the rise. I was out thursday night in the rain and caught 7 channel cats. I fished from 9 1030pm and I was using cutbait (trout) did really well and probably could've caught more but the rain was kicking my butt.

8. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Welcome to the club Doug Thanks for the report.

9. Yeah, you guys have been getting socked out west.:sad2: We have been getting ours since yesterday.:eek:oooh:

10. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

This rains been killing me!:sad2:

11. Bigfish4me

Bigfish4me New Member

State:
    Conshy Pa
    I guess it really depends on how high it gets, when its raging and running 4-6' above normal pool i am bailing carp in the creeks....when the water starts dropping out of the creeks the channel cat bite explodes at the creek mouths, i dont flathead fish those areas but they are probably there....hell the channels get so wound up we catch them on corn intended for the carp....the rising water is going to have a ton of junk in it which makes fishing it effectivly difficult......if i had to fish a stage of the river other than normal pool it would be on the drop without a doubt.

12. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Best time to fish for catfish is NOW! The river is rising, the water is muddy, and the barometric is low!:cool2::wink:

13. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i like a rising river best but best time to go is any time i can get away for an hour or a nite.

14. Yeah but Tan, it is almost a full moon!:cool2::smile2::smile2::smile2: