Best Time For Early Season Blues.

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by FlatGetter, Feb 24, 2006.

1. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've never caught a blue. I primarely fish flatheads. I'm hoping to get a nice blue this year. I plan to fish a shallow cove off a good size lake,about 30 miles from my house. I hope to catch them in there when the water starts to warm. The cove has standing timber and it has trees laying on the bottom. Will that be a good place for spring-early summer blues.

2. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hey Flatgetter,
    Don't wait too much longer to go out there for the blues. I've caught more
    20+ pound blues in the last month than in the last 5 years combined. You're a few hundred miles north of me (I'm on the northern end of Louisiana) but it can't be that much different. I'm catching them all in the same place and it sounds alot like the spot you are describing. A big lake with deep areas and shallow flats off to the side. I've been catching them near a drop off and out in the shallower area. Large shad heads or frozen raw shrimp is what I've used for bait.

As soon as this rain ends I'll be back out there.

3. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Blues can be caught year round. Just fine the shad...and you'll find the blues. Alot of times...if there's Striper in the water feeding on shad...the blues can be found below the striper feeding on the leftover dead shad when the striper are pounding them.

Also...find a river that pours into a lake that has blues in it. They'll make a spawning run upstream in the spring. A dam is a good place to start during the run...because the blues can't get over it. They'll stack up like cordwood at times. They do here in SE Kansas on the Neosho river.