Best time for catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by slowjamcdub, Nov 16, 2008.

1. slowjamcdub

slowjamcdub New Member

State:
    kentucky
    what is the best month that the cats are just eatin the hooks up??? I heard some one say June is when they bit the most what do you guys think is the best month??:roll_eyes:

2. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I have had my best in the spring (April-May) and then again in the fall (Sept.-Oct.).

3. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Any month you go fishing :cool2:

Seriously, don't know if there is that 1 month of be all end all fishing.. Lots of variables to consider.. Flathead, Blue, Channel? Fishing river or lake ? If in the river, whats the water level, current, water temp etc etc etc.... Has it been a real rainy spring, or is it drought conditions...

While there are great fishing opportunities during the year, such as pre-spawn and the "fall feed", your best bet is ALWAYS to just hit the water, learn each trip, try different baits/presentations/rigs and most of all have fun...

On a final note, A good fishing diary marking water/air temps, time, bait used, etc are very valuable tools if your looking to zero in on certain patterns of the year.

4. slowjamcdub

slowjamcdub New Member

State:
    kentucky
    hey yea that is a good idea! im goin to start doin that, loggin all my stuff down. And i bet it will really help me out, and be fun to read when im old too. :roll_eyes:

5. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    i would say when the catfish around spawning time they are hungry and will attack bait aggressively and also in the fall when they fatten themselves up for winter. also the species of cats you are after as well fishing river lake pond small river large river stuff like that also know the water you fish rick

6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Blues dont bite much during spawn, but when they come off the nest they will bite on the anchor:smile2: My favorite time by far is (Winter) Oct.Nov. Dec. Feb. March ...Big Blues are hungry then. The one in my avitar was caught Dec. 2006 All my big fish over 50# came during winter ... Its time right now !!!
    :0a26::0a23:

7. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    catfishcrazy256,
    I AGREE 100% on the Blues!!!!!!!!!!! I have caught other species during the Hotter months, but by far, the Colder Weatherr brings out the BLUES!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I plan on getting some of that cold weather blues action this year. I would love to boat a 50 pounder

9. slowjamcdub

slowjamcdub New Member

State:
    kentucky
    WOW that sounds great guys! Where can i find blues??? Are their any blues here in ky? maybe at barren river lake???

10. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Best time here is monday-sunday,12am-12pm,365 days a year. We catch good fish all year. Winter time brings more numbers of bigger fish.

11. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I did pretty good in May last year.

12. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    I've always thought that the best time to catfish is every time I'm able to get out there. Here kitty kitty kitty....

13. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    if u check out the "hall of fame" section alot of nice fish were caught in the spring:wink:

14. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Flatheads I think the best time is Sept. through the first of Nov. The blues and channel cats I think bite best from late winter through early spring like the middle of April.

15. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Have to agree with my fellow PA guys, up this way it's definetly May.:wink:

16. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    The best time to catfish, is anytime you can get on the water.:wink: