Best time for Blue catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by FlatGetter, Mar 2, 2006.

1. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I never fished blues, but hope to this year. Whats the best time to target blues, and whats the best time of day or night to fish them?

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Blues are pretty aggressive fish. I don't think there really is a wrong time to fish for them. In the summer I fish at night in shallow water. If I'm fishing during the day I fish in the deeper holes. Although I do like fishing shallow water come march for blues. We landed a blue today that came out of about 15 feet of water and a channel that came out of 3 feet. Air temp was about 50 water temp was around 44 degrees.

3. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Pretty much anytime is a good time. I had success in the Fall. During the winter time I had success after a good rain or during a raining. In certain places Spring time is good as well. It all really depends on your area and the time of year with water temps. Blues tend to become agressive in certain water temps from 62-75 or more I believe.

4. timpndr20

timpndr20 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I fish for blues almost exclusivly,Itend to catch bigger fish in the winter month's.But I catch fish year round,it is a trial and error thing.You have to find the baitfish to find the blues unless they are spawning.In winter I have caught fish in as deep as 80 feet of water.But in spring and summer I rarely fish over 30 feet deep.In the fall it's anyones guess,I've caught fish as shallow as 10 feet to as deep as 60 feet.

5. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    fish for blues anytime, those fish are always active

6. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Blues bite yr. round here in Texas, deep / shallow. We target trees with water turkey roosting on them. I'd like to think the water is somewhere around 8' - 20' deep. We have landed them in 2' of water bank fishin' at night too.

7. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Like i've said in other posts, any time your line's wet you've got the chance at catching a fish... if your worrying about wether you should go out now or 3 hrs from now, just get out and go fish... you'll learn certain patterns for fishing for them and catching them and will be able to bring them in as long as your on the water. Its really hard to catch them from your house unless your house is a boat or on the water...

8. MOblues

MOblues New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Flatgetter, if you're anything like me......once you go "blues", you won't go back, haha. I'd rather fish 10 hrs and catch one big blue, than to fish 5 and catch 10 crappie (although crappie are might tasty!). Not so much a matter of time, but location and bait. Find the holes, find the dikes, etc, and fish with skipjack herring or shad. Cutbait is definitely the best, so good luck!

9. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Do they tend to run in packs, or are they lonners, like ops?

10. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Flatgetter, now is the time to fish for those blues. Use cut skipjacks and fish them in deep water. Look for slack current areas like eddys and such. Later in the spring they will start to move out in the current, when they do this that is when it gets really good. In the mid of summer look for the deepest heaviest current areas that you can fish. Again using cut skips, shad are also effective. I have even slammed them in the summer on whole live and cut gills. Vern

11. MOblues

MOblues New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Blues spawn in late spring when the water temperature gets 77-82 degrees. This is prime time! We're not there yet, but I hear they're already biting.

Going out tomorrow and I can't wait! Muhahahaha......

12. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I have been catching blues all winter, not as good as when the water is warm but they do still bite. Water temp got down to about 46-47 degrees this winter at the coldest but now its probably about 57-58 will check tomorrow and let you know if they are biting good..