best time for blue catfish?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by clintok, Jul 13, 2008.

1. clintok

clintok New Member

State:
    oklahome
    Hey guys! just wanted to know when the best time is for hunting BIG BLUES, and which is better bait, Skipjack or Shad? I will greatly appreciate your guidance.

2. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Most of my sucess with really big blues has come from October through April, when the water is cooler. You won't get the numbers you will in the summertime, but almost all the really big blues I've caught have been during this period. I can get frustrating when it's cold and nothing is biting but persistance and time on the water will pay off eventually in a big way. I prefer skipjack over shad for big fish, but big bream have worked really well for me too, and either will work if they are previously frozen (frozen fresh). Good luck on your hunt for big blues.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I usually do best between January and December.

Seriously.

Blue cats bite all year around. You just have to find them. You can't expect fish to be in the same place when the water's 85 degrees as when it's 45 degrees.

4. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I may be a bit behind the others, but I catch my biggest blues and Flatheads in July and August. Why? Maybe because that is when I fish the most.
    I always use the local bait that works the best, may take a day or so to figure this out but it will become very easy to see.
    I drift fish a lot early in am and bait my jug lines, I may return at sundown, but more likely to run jugs and drift early next day.
    Keep them lines wet, and keep a small journal of what youcatch and when and on what. It will help next year.
    keep them lines wet

5. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    March and April, daylight to dark, shallow and on structure. That's at Santee in the lakes. Warms up early here in the south. The pace picks in May, but the fish seem to get smaller. Them big one's have to be somewhere, I wish I knew where.:smile2:

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Very good info, thanks for the post. I have had my best luck on oct/nov, have not had a chance to really test my winter fishing ability. That will all change this year!