Best Time Crappie Fishing!

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by mskittyfish, Apr 5, 2006.

1. mskittyfish

mskittyfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I had my first attempt at Crappie fishin this past week and OMG! we were tearin em up! We had set out actually to do some catfishin...when we caught 2 crappies instead. It was on after that! We rigged our lines for crappie fishin and we caught some beautiful fish and they were hittin like you wouldnt believe! I learned that the lighter the line the better...as if the fish cannot see your line, they are more likely to hit. We were using 6-8 lb test line and blue and white jigs. This proved to be successful as 3 of us caught our limit every day for 3 days in a row! *wink* They are still hitting but just a little slower. Some of these fish were darn good size ones too! So Saturday night, we got the fish cooker out and had family and friends over for a fish fry. Dang that crappie is oh so good! I was told by friends that it is illegal to sell crappie in restaurants...anyone know why? Well...just wanted to share my excitement over fishin for crappie for the first time...sure would like to hear your Best Crappie Story and what yall find works best for catchin em! ;)

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Tracey,

Sounds like you have been turned on to Crappie. They are a very fun fish to go for, and you can fill yer belly very easy when they are biting.

Congrats on the great weekend!!

3. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I love crappie fishing and I love to eat them even more. To me they are the best eating fish there is. All I do is gut them, scale them, and cut there heads off then throw them the frier. Man they are good. I was taught it is a sin to fillet a crappie. LOL. Glad you enjoyed your first time crappie fishing.

4. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Because it's a game fish in most states, not a commercial fish.

Used to be able to order crappie at restaurants around reelfoot lake in Tennessee, but the last time I was there you couldn't.

I'm like you, wish they had them in restaurants. :)

Scott

5. augila

augila New Member

State:
    Texas
    Where in NE Texas were you fishing? I live between Lake Fork and Lake of the Pines.

6. mskittyfish

mskittyfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Thank you for the info paleocaver! Guess that makes sense...game vs commercial...tis okay cuz I can catch my own and fry it up in the pan...cuz imma wommmman W O M A N....l o l ...

We've been fishin on Lake Cypress Springs. However, the last few days have been very slow for crappie. Maybe we caught em all last weekend...I dunno. L O L So last night we caught some fresh shad and put 5 on our hooks and reeled in some awesome 5 - 8 lb catfish. It was a blast! My arms are sure sore today and if the fish get any bigger, they might catch me instead of me catchin them!

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Sounds like you must have caugt them just as they were coming off their nests and putting the feedbag on. Been fishing for crappie here and only caught 1 small one. Don't think they have started to spawn in Central OKla. Probably have down south... My friend loves crappie, Me, I just love to fish, don't care what its for.

8. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Crappie fishing can be very fun, not the hardest fighting fish, but when you get into them, it's non stop action. Today before the storms hit we caught several nice crappies and gills using minnows about 2 ft. under a bobber.

9. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    When the dogwoods bloom the crappie spawn is what I have always been told. I love crappie fishing. So far this year they have all been smallish, but still fun to catch. White is my best color this season as well. Later I switch to a redhead jig and green body.

10. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I never got on em this year, My try when thy scool up in deep water.

11. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    crappie are yummmy 4 your tummy! They taste the best I think of all the fish. I fish for crappie and cats at the same time. In upper Indiana the water is still to cold to catch like you did. I'm jelous.
    Bill

12. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    if any one is intrested. lol this might sound like a tale. but the crappie are hooked up at thunderbird lake. i know they are small( last few years) but this last week we have seen some 14-17 inches with one that broke a 4 lb line stright away. fishing arround docks at t bird. and from the bank this am, grand niece, limited out on 10-14 inch crappie (37) in 3 hrs for a 12 yr old girl it was heaven.just a little info. have a day

13. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    what is everyone's favorite bait?

14. mskittyfish

mskittyfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    My favorite bait so far is fresh shad. We use a saine net to catch the shad when they are plentiful, take them home and freeze them in gallon size ziplock bags. This saves moolah on buyin bait and the cats just tear em up when we use em! We hook 5 or six on a 2.o hook and get good results. I've just started working with the Danny King Stinky Punch Bait...really have not given it a fair chance...so jury is still out on that one! As far as the crappie hitting these days, where we fish, the bigger catfish have moved in and the crappie have moved on out. We keep checking to see if the crappie are biting, but when the big cats start swirling their fins...the catfish poles come out in a hurry! :rolleyes:

15. I_try

I_try New Member

State:
    Central Arkansas
    i bought some of those crappie magnets the other day at wal mart but its raining pretty heavy so im gonna go early next week, do crappie stop biting after they spawn or is it just because there more spread out it just seems like it?

16. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    2 1/2 - 3 inch live spottail minnows! artificial would be a 1/8 ounce black n yellow mirabou jig.
    I like em fried too, but favorite way is to scale, head n gut em, n put em on the pit!

17. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    My favorite bait for when they are on spawn is 1/8th ounce spinner baits. Fish like bass fisherman, you only catch the big crappie this way. In fall when they are relating to structure, you can't beat a lively minnow. But when we troll i like panfish assassins and LOVE crappie beavers. So i guess i ahve alot of favorite baits, :)

18. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I like crappie fishing and we love to eat crappie filets. Been slow on this lake for me. I fish with minnows, early it was little reds early but now it's warmer the bait dealer stop selling them for the hot weather kills them.

I did catch my largest crappie last week, 1.5 lbs, 15 inch. It was fun but not like the day before when I caught a 7+ lb Hybrid stripper on my crappie rig. Then the next few days several 2 and 3 lb strippers and bass. For some reason I'm catching more bass and strippers than crappie? The local crappie guide post his catch daily, he catches crappie every day. But he hasn't been catching bass and strippers? Strange, for I fish just like he does in some of his brush piles?
    :confuse: