Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the bset texas bait for blues? i heard skip jack was amazing but i dont know where to get skip jack.. i figured huge shad head would work but im not positive, and whats the best way to catch em, i mean like fishing near timber, trolling?

any help much appreciated

-Kevin

·
Registered
399 Posts
LIVE BAIT.... Perch, Shad, Shiners,... whatever bait you have in your local waters should be your best bet for the big ones. The bigger the bait, the bigger the fish. If your trolling, fish these baits under a wild wolf bobber and hang on tight... Good luck.

·
Registered
420 Posts
what is the bset texas bait for blues? i heard skip jack was amazing but i dont know where to get skip jack.. i figured huge shad head would work but im not positive, and whats the best way to catch em, i mean like fishing near timber, trolling?

any help much appreciated

-Kevin
We dont have skipjack in Texas as far as I know. Use shad in place of skipjack. If im not mistaken skipjack is just a specific type of shad, that lives a bit more north of us.

Shad live or dead, and perch live or dead seem to work the best for me. I dont use anything else.

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
dont know where in texas you live but if you or some friends fish for speckeled trout in the bays you catch a fish that works as good as skipjacks.they even call them skipjacks,their not their lady fish.long skinny fish jump high and cut up big time.

·
Registered
Ron from Northwest Texas
137 Posts
Blues thrive on gizzard shad in most Texas lakes.The only skip jack I am aware of in Texas are up in the northeast corner of the state.In winter I have had better luck on cut carp than shad but during winter I usually use 4 rods with cut carp on two ,a small and a large chunk,shad on the other two set up the same.Just remember to let the fish tell you what they want.........some days it's the head piece,some days the tail piece and some days its tiny filets, size can be critical in the winter months.In the summer I fish flatheads,crappie,white bass,wiper and striper............Blues are lust to finicky in the warmer months in my opinion

1 - 11 of 11 Posts