Best Texas Bait for Big Blue catfish?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by TX Fisherman, May 11, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    what is the bset texas bait for blues? i heard skip jack was amazing but i dont know where to get skip jack.. i figured huge shad head would work but im not positive, and whats the best way to catch em, i mean like fishing near timber, trolling?

any help much appreciated

-Kevin

2. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    LIVE BAIT.... Perch, Shad, Shiners,... whatever bait you have in your local waters should be your best bet for the big ones. The bigger the bait, the bigger the fish. If your trolling, fish these baits under a wild wolf bobber and hang on tight... Good luck.

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I've agree with Savage!

4. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    We dont have skipjack in Texas as far as I know. Use shad in place of skipjack. If im not mistaken skipjack is just a specific type of shad, that lives a bit more north of us.

Shad live or dead, and perch live or dead seem to work the best for me. I dont use anything else.

5. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Some type of fish bloody and fresh should work well for you.

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    dont know where in texas you live but if you or some friends fish for speckeled trout in the bays you catch a fish that works as good as skipjacks.they even call them skipjacks,their not their lady fish.long skinny fish jump high and cut up big time.