Best tasting catfish

Discussion in 'GEORGIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by CATCHARMER, Nov 20, 2008.

1. CATCHARMER

CATCHARMER New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    whay is the best tasteing and does the age of the fish matter? i have heard keep em under 2lb or they get an old taste. what about mercury?

2. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    A lot of it depends on cleaning the fish. If you do not get the red out or the fat streaks out than larger fish can have a bad taste to them. I have ate 30+ lb fish and they tasted great! but, I usually keep the under 10 lbers for eating and release the rest unless i need fish in the freezer! Hope this helps!

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have eaten catfish of all sizes and I prefer my Catfish to be around the 5 lb mark give or take a couple lbs in either direction. They just taste the best to me.:big_smile:

4. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    I agree, I like to eat fish around the 5lb mark. I've never filleted a big one, but have often thought about trying one for some catfish steaks. I don't think I have a knife that big though, might have to start off with the chainsaw...lol

5. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    The younger the fish is, the less mercury it will have in it.

That is, if you have mercury problems in the water you fish.

6. CATCHARMER

CATCHARMER New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    IN THE DNR REGS BOOK THEY LIST HOW MUCH AND OF WHAT KIND TO EAT FROM EACH BODY OF WATER.

7. CATCHARMER

CATCHARMER New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    HOW ABOUT DIFFERENT TYPES OF CATFISH. FLATS , BLUES , CHANNELS, IS ONE ANY BETTER THAN ANOTHER?

8. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I would go by that.

9. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Richard, if memory serves me right, in past polls on this question on this site, flathead comes out on top (it's my favorite; although I do like thick channel fillets also).

10. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    All my channels go back in the water:eek:oooh:,They taste muddy to me,, I love the blues and have only caught a handful of flattys, So blues are my favorite, and for ease of cleaning I like them from about 6 to 15 lbs, and a electric filet knife is a must,,I can have one cut up and ready for the fryer in a few minutes tops:wink:
    Puddle

11. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    does everyone gut 'em before skinning and filleting them? I always have, but wonder if it may be a waste of time if I'm not eating anything past the ribs anyways....:eek:oooh:

12. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I never gut 'em, I fillet them and then flip the fillet over skin side down onto a dry piece of wood and then peel the skin off with the fillet knife. Catfish are harder to skin than scaly fish like this, but it sure beats pullin' skin with pliers :wink::big_smile:, and I like blue cats up to about 10 lbs. the best.

13. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    Why gut them if you are filleting them?

I use an electric knife when I keep fish. My favorite fish to eat is not a cat, I like a 5# or so striper. Cut the fillets into 4-6inch pieces then add a bit of flour, seasoning......... saute in a teflon pan with a little butter.

Serve with some egg noodles, some nice greens then add a cold beer!:big_smile:

For Cats I prefer the smaller (under 5#). Channel. I grew up eating them fried up, cut into chunks bone in. The best part was eating the tail! Crispy! I now fillet all fish that I cook except freshwater trout. Man, I am getting hungry for some fish now!!! Time to hit the lake!

14. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    In my opininon all channel cats above 5lbs taste muddy. I prefer 2-3 pounds for channel cats. Flatheads on the other hand are good up to much bigger, 20+ pounds. However, I release those just because they are so big :)

Never had the pleasure of eating a blue cat yet.

I hate white cats from Lanier, taste like shad. mmMMmmm....

15. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    One of the smaller Blues that was caught at the mini gathering was like eating jerky. Damn thing was tough as nails. Whats the deal there?

16. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Now maybe I'm the oddball, but I think that channels have the best taste. Fried channels fillets, french fries, coleslaw, baked beans......can't beat it. Blue's good the same way, but I have a problem with flatheads. I only use flatheads in my catfish stew. JMHO....

17. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    I think that a 2 to 3# blue is best. I hang them up and cut the tail off and let them bleed good. Then filet them.

18. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    Any fish is good eatin if preped right. Just remeber keep it cool.
    I try to have a water hose handy while cleaning, a bucket of ice water to put them in as they are cleaned.I remove the fat and dark meat, as well as the silver from the belly meat rinse and put in cold water over night then rinse and freeze or cook. A mild mix of salt water is what I freeze them in. When thawed i rinse them good in cold water and let stand in the fridge for a couple hours then rinse again befor cooking sounds like alot of work but it is a habit now and isn't that bad concedering the results. It works for any size fish.When you clean a large cat there is meat on the head that can be removed also around the eyes and across the top of the head jaw.Yummmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!
    Loop

19. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    to me they are the best tasting of any cat.I know some use them for bait but when big enough skin,cut off head leave tail on roll in cornmeal and fry in good hot grease. UmUmGood.